New 5R55E transmission vent tube vs. my old one looks different. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 5R55E transmission vent tube vs. my old one looks different.

BadaBingM3

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4WD 2DR Explorer
Continued questions of my installation with the new 5R55E. The new one has what looks like a crimped crown that sits ontop of the vent tube. It wabbles around as it is crimped. My old vent tube had a 90 degree elbow where the rubber vent hose connected. Is this a newer modification of the vent tube and I leave it as is? Or do I pull out my old one and install it on the new tranny? Please see pictures.

Attachments

• New vent tube.JPG
    New vent tube.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 159
  • Old vent tube (1).JPG
    Old vent tube (1).JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 288

You can leave it as is
the little metal cap is just a dust shield, they wobble around to allow collected dust to fall out... many OEM manufactures use this style vent cap on transmissions, rear axles, etc

Both accomplish the same thing, allowing the transmission case to breathe, they just do it in different ways

Good question! There are no bad questions.........

You can leave it as is
the little metal cap is just a dust shield, they wobble around to allow collected dust to fall out... many OEM manufactures use this style vent cap on transmissions, rear axles, etc

Both accomplish the same thing, allowing the transmission case to breathe, they just do it in different ways

Good question! There are no bad questions.........
Thank you Sir!!

Back