new brakes and rotors | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new brakes and rotors

MattHarrell said:
Can someone describe for me what the slide pins look like? I don't even see a picture in my Haynes manual

What about anti-rattle clips? Does a 99 have them?

Is the cradle the thing that holds the caliper on the rotor?

1) Slide pins are the things that the bolts go through to bolt the caliper to the cradle. They "slide" back and forth.

2) Most of them have them. If they aren't there when you take your old brakes off, then you probably don't need them for the new ones. Also, if the old clips are there and your new ones didnt' come with them - it's Ok to re-use the clips.

3) Yes, the cradle is what holds the caliper to the rotor!

Hope that helps

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got it - thanks. Do the slide pins just pull right out? I see them floating back and forth in the rubber bushings but I didn't just want to rip them out

No I didn't notice anything like an anti-rattle clip on the old brake pads. Hmm, maybe I'll have to get some next time I run to the auto parts store

yeah they just pull right out. If the grease has gotten kind of solid, it may be hard to pull it out. Good luck

-Drew

Ok I have been thinking about changing my front and rear rotors. I would like to get some advice on some good rotors and pads to get. Are the drilled and slotted rotors as good as they say they are, also do they support 4 wheel ABS. Thanks again.. There is a link at the bottom that will take you to my X.

Laterz and Thanks
Jeremy

Rage1973 said:
Are the drilled and slotted rotors as good as they say they are, also do they support 4 wheel ABS.

The drilled and slotted ARE as good as they say. I would recommend those with Hawk pads. What the drilled and slotted rotors really do is this: there is a sort of "gas" that is produced with regular pads and rotors (any in fact) and it keeps the pad sometimes floating above the rotor. With the holes and slots, the gas can escape and there is more actual surface to surface so you stop better. They also look really good. The ABS sensors for our Explorers are on the front CV Axles and in the rear axle pumpkin. You will not have a problem with your ABS system (or atleast you shouldn't). Good luck

-Drew

I have the drilled and slotted on my 1995 front. and very satisfied with them.

Back