new exhaust questions 99 SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new exhaust questions 99 SOHC

Reaction score
City, State
missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 V6 SOHC SPORT 2DR
i am going to unclamp the muffler and install a y pipe into a glasspack which will then be mated to the remaining exhaust right before the resonater. must i weld this all together? or can i clamp it tight using pipe adapters and clamps?
andyone know?

Might be difficult

If yours is like mine then the dual inputs to the muffler are different as shown in the photo below.
SOHCExhaust.jpg

It will be hard to find a "Y" with a flange inlet. Also, single pass glasspack mufflers are frequently longer than three pass mufflers. You may not have enough room. I suggest measuring your stock configuration and compare with your planned purchases before buying to ensure things will fit. I suspect cutting and welding will be necessary. Don't overlook how it will be supported with hangers.

Are you looking to use something like this?

If you are using one of these, I don'tthink clamping will hold the pipes very well since there is not a slit in the flange...But you could modify that and then clamp the pipes in the flange to hold...

Attachments

• 10758.jpg
    10758.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 335

actually chery bomb now makes a 12 in total length glasspack so ima pay about 15 more and get that one,, it'll fit for sure ( i'd like to have that 15 bux tho)everybody is tellin me not to do it, that its a waste of money,... they just dont understand. i have a budy that may be able to weld that all togetehr for me for cheap. we'll see, thanks for the feedback

Back