• Register Today It's free!

New Explorer Owner- 2002 XLS 4x4

iamjose

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS 4x4
Hey everyone! This seems like a pretty kick ass forum! I just recently bought a used 2002 Ford Explorer XLS 4WD with 145k. I paid all cash for it and was pretty excited about it. I was really happy about not having to deal with car payments any more until... I started reading about all of these problems with the transmission on this model.

I had a mechanic buddy look at it befre I paid for it and he did notice that it looked like they had replaced the transmission on it which I thought was a good thing. But now... I'm not so sure. Anyhow...

the deal was done before I read about all transmission problems. So I'm stuck with it but if any one here can give me some tips as far as what to look out for or what basic maintenance I should start off with. It would be a great bit of help.

The mechanic buddy said it looked like the AC compressor was worn and might need to be replace soon. Less than $500 to replace parts and labor... ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Make sure that the transmission fluid & filter are clean. How could he tell that the compressor was worn without tearing it apart?

He said it had a redish discoloration to it... normally it would be black he said.

Welcome to this forum! Make sure that the transmission fluid & filter are clean. How could he tell that the compressor was worn without tearing it apart?

He also said that the transmission on these things were made so that only a Ford Dealership would be able to change the fluid and what not. Something about not having a dipstick, which I thought was odd but then again I didnt find one...

Any one about how much they charge and how often I should do this?

btw... Thanks for the welcome!

Was he referring to the compressor clutch?

I believe so... it was towards the front of the engine on the right side. I can take a picture of it and post it when I get back from work tonight...

Check the sticky thread in the transmission section called the 5R55W fluid fill for more information. The compressor clutch could be replaced as a separate part instead of replacing the entire compressor.

Back