New Explorer owner wants diesel conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Explorer owner wants diesel conversion

Chief JT

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
Hello Explorer fans. I'm the new owner of a 2005 Explorer XLT Sport w/70,000 miles and in perfect condition. I am making plans for this to be my conversion truck following my next deployment. I am particularly interested in dropping a 4 cyl. turbodiesel in to replace the 4.0.
I'm afraid the Cummins 4BT will be to heavy and large to fit and the 4BT is a brute but may be a bit to unrefined for my Explorer. I am also considering the VM Motori 4 cyl. turbo.
Do any of you have any experience/advice?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could do a 1.9 TDI from a VW. There's a guy on the Ranger Station doing that. Quite involved and doesn't turn out that much power with the factory ECU. 4BT would be your best bet.

Explorer is too heavy for the 1.9 tdi. EGTs would be crazy high. A ranger is already on the heavy side for one. 4bt would be the easiest swap for you to do, but if you can get a VM Motori 2.8 and a figure out how to integrate the ECU, that would give you the best results.

Make sure if you want more than just RWD you get a motor that can bolt up to a tranny and X-case that can give you AWD or 4x4. Like everyone already said a 4BT will be the easiest to swap in. Maybe one out of a newer, larger Euro car with AWD? Mercedes has had Bluetec diesels for a while. Not sure if it'd work but just an idea

Back