• Register Today It's free!

Diesel Conversion?

PCTechman

Reaction score
City, State
Central Islip, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer 4X4 EB
I would be interested in a diesel engine swap so I could run on WVO/diesel. Anyone got any ideas on possible engines that could be adapted to my 5 spd trans? Or maybe a eng/trans that would adapt to the transfer case? It would be all custom made parts I'm sure, but I'd run my Ex forever :D :D :D !

It wouldn't be easy but you could get a Diesel from a Ranger. They sold Rangers in South America with Diesels. I don't know what the options would be for connecting to the manual trans. The manual trans. would likely not hold up long connected to a Diesel.

Diesel Swap

It wouldn't be easy but you could get a Diesel from a Ranger. They sold Rangers in South America with Diesels. I don't know what the options would be for connecting to the manual trans. The manual trans. would likely not hold up long connected to a Diesel.

Yeah, I thought about the tranny giving out. I saw a couple of those on ebay here in the states but I think they have 4 cylinder engines with less hp than in the Ex's. I am thinking maybe a wrecked or trashed, rusted body Ford 4x4 pickup and do a complete chassis swap under the Explorer (including electrical harness). It would be a big job but it would keep me from having to beef the rest of the stock chassis/suspension to carry the extra weight of the diesel engine and I'd retain a heavier duty 4x4 configuration and the Explorer SUV look with diesel power/economy. I'm sure there would be a lot of major chassis mods, length doesn't seem to be too much of a problem, but the Explorer body is probably much narrower than a pickup chassis. Guess I'm dreaming too much...:nono: :nono: :nono:

It would probably be just as expensive as buying an old diesel powered Excursion or Suburban without all the work!

Back