New flasher issue in the heatwave | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New flasher issue in the heatwave

Hoosier Katie

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Limited
We've been trying to be careful with the poor placement of the flasher button, and it's getting less annoying, but today, an interesting new problem started.

We're having a heatwave in the midwest. It was 96 degrees and I parked my car in a sunny parking lot at work. After awhile, I got a call that my flashers were on. It was very hot in the car and the flasher button would not respond at all to my touch. I finally took come cool water on my finger and ran it over the button to cool it down, and it then responded to my touch and turned the flashers off. About 15-20 minutes later, I got another call. They had turned on again. It happened over nad over again while the car was parked in the sun!

Every time I had to cool it down in order to turn it off and then they turned on again as soon as it heated up again.

It seems not only placement, but sensitivity is an issue. Actually a bigger issue! I wish they would change it from a heat-sensitive button to a mechanical button.

Does anyone know if this is an identified issue or is this a problem peculiar to my own vehicle??? Am I doomed to have my flashers on in parking lots any day it gets into the 90s?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

geez, that's a silly bug but i can see where it happens that heat is causing material to expand due to heat and trigger it. i have accidentally swiped it when i first got it and it's annoying to turn off because its so tiny.

makes me wonder if there is an emergency like an accident and all the dash controls lose power, whether the touch sensitive flashers will even turn on?!

being an emergency button, they couldnt make it a traditional toggle button to be extra safe?!

yeah, that's weird.

Try cracking a window or the sunroof to relieve a bit of the heat inside the car.

yeah, that's weird.

Try cracking a window or the sunroof to relieve a bit of the heat inside the car.

Not recommended.

What if it rains, YIKES!

Do what i did ,purchase the ford o.e.m window vent visors for your explorer. They look great on the vehicle and alow you to have the windows rolled down 2-3 inches with no woory of rain getting in your car. I do not have a garage and my explorer sits out on the street in total sunshine all day in 90 degree weather and the interior never gets hot. We have had torrential rain storms and there is never any water getting into the interior of the car even though the windows are open 3 inches.
This is the best option in my opinion you can buy for the car,it looks great and is highly ###tional.

Saying those window visors look great is certainly a matter of opinion. Mine had them on it from the dealership and I took them off when I got home. To my eye they are very cheaply made- poor finishing and cutting to shape.

If it does turn out to be a recurring problem the fix may be a windshield/dash shade. Personally, I would not be comfortable leaving my windows down even a crack all day but that is because I have my radar detector, Leatherman tool, iPod, etc. in the car.

Saying those window visors look great is certainly a matter of opinion. Mine had them on it from the dealership and I took them off when I got home. To my eye they are very cheaply made- poor finishing and cutting to shape.

If it does turn out to be a recurring problem the fix may be a windshield/dash shade. Personally, I would not be comfortable leaving my windows down even a crack all day but that is because I have my radar detector, Leatherman tool, iPod, etc. in the car.

right on with the window shade idea. Bottom line is that if your car is heating up to the point at which the plastic is expanding to cause the button to press, its probably getting too hot in your car and you risk damage to other components (my ford touch ?), as well as causing premature age to your interior surfaces. This is not a Ford thing, any car that is left to bake in the heat and sun will have cracking vinyl and the like.

right on with the window shade idea. Bottom line is that if your car is heating up to the point at which the plastic is expanding to cause the button to press, its probably getting too hot in your car and you risk damage to other components (my ford touch ?), as well as causing premature age to your interior surfaces. This is not a Ford thing, any car that is left to bake in the heat and sun will have cracking vinyl and the like.

So you should keep your car in a climate controlled garage all summer?

All components in a car should be designed to handle the heat, every other car can. I never did like those touch/heat sensitive buttons anyway. I didn't know that the new ex had them.

I agree, maybe use vent visors, or take it to the dealer, maybe your button is overly sensitive. I haven't seen anyone else post this issue.

So you should keep your car in a climate controlled garage all summer?

All components in a car should be designed to handle the heat, every other car can. I never did like those touch/heat sensitive buttons anyway. I didn't know that the new ex had them.

I agree, maybe use vent visors, or take it to the dealer, maybe your button is overly sensitive. I haven't seen anyone else post this issue.

It’s inevitable that a car is going to sit in 100% sunshine on a 90+ degree day. To say that you need a sun shade or you have to leave the windows open is not the answer. Heat buildup in a car should not cause electronics to be activated. I would be furious to find out my battery was dead because the flashers were activated on their own.

Hopefully this not a common occurrence.

It’s inevitable that a car is going to sit in 100% sunshine on a 90+ degree day. To say that you need a sun shade or you have to leave the windows open is not the answer. Heat buildup in a car should not cause electronics to be activated. I would be furious to find out my battery was dead because the flashers were activated on their own.

Agreed. Try to make sure that the button is clean, maybe there was some build up of grease or cleaner that made it more likely to go off with the heat.

yeah, that's weird.

You aren't far from me. I know for a fact we have had way hotter than 96 degrees a few times since I got my ex. With charcoal interior, it gets hot. I have not had this issue. Has anyone else? I'd lean towards the recessed button in the OP's ex is slightly misaligned if the heat activated it.

Remember, our dash and door panels are soft touch foam, not the same plastic as in many cars.

Flashers are very low power drain. A dead battery is not likely.

I live near Dallas Texas, and it has been over 100 deg for more than a week. My explorer is left outside in the sun every day. My flashers have never come on by themselves because of the heat. If yours are...it is broken and ford needs to replace it under warranty. Take it to the dealer!

You're right the components should handle it, but to be honest, why look for problems? That direct sunlight will eventually fade your car's interior anyway and a sunshade will allow you to get into a more comfortable car as well as fix the OP's flasher issue. It's a win-win.

The OP's problem is not just a few hour stop over, but 8 hours of work.... not exactly a once in awhile issue.

I personally park in a garage at home and an underground ramp at work. It gets mighty cold in Minn and mighty hot too. While I understand that not everyone has access to these facilities, when I lived in an apartment and had to park outside, I regularly used a sunshade in my rustbucket Saturn. Why not protect the car? You wax it right? Why? To protect it even though the paint should handle normal UV rays and normal wear and tear, rain, etc....

Ford technical service recommends that every time you park remove fuse 29 and take it with you; that should solve your flasher issue. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if this is an identified issue or is this a problem peculiar to my own vehicle??? Am I doomed to have my flashers on in parking lots any day it gets into the 90s?
This is a new one. Interesting, and infuriating, fail.

What is your build date? I think they redesigned the switch to avoid inadvertant activation (though my friend's teenage son manages to activate them all the time when playing with the radio)

Back