• Register Today It's free!

Turn signal/flasher issue

markaz

Reaction score
City, State
Peoria, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer
I have a very similar problem as stated in this thread (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342847&highlight=turn+flasher) and yet different.
'92 Explorer
1. The right side flasher including both front and rear bulbs work fine.
2. When the left turn signal is engaged the light on the dash lights up but does not blink. The front left bulb lights up but does not blink, but the left rear bulb does not illuminate.
Flasher? Bulb? Any other ideas?

Thanks for any help.

markaz

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The rear bulbs are significantly higher wattage than the fronts. I think if the rear isn't on, then it's burned out and the lack of wattage is preventing the flasher from blinking.

Typically, it's an issue with the bulb. I would replace them and see what happens.

Try this:

Have someone put their foot on the brake, then just slightly wiggle the turn signal arm.

If you see the brake lights go out before you have actually moved the switch more than 3 or 4 millimeters then the multifunction switch is bad.

The rear bulbs are significantly higher wattage than the fronts. I think if the rear isn't on, then it's burned out and the lack of wattage is preventing the flasher from blinking.
Yes...it was burned out and apparently the culprit in the front flasher not working.
Typically, it's an issue with the bulb. I would replace them and see what happens.
I just replaced the rear as it was definitely burned out.
Same problem i have.
Let me know if you fix it
Fixed.
Try this:

Have someone put their foot on the brake, then just slightly wiggle the turn signal arm.

If you see the brake lights go out before you have actually moved the switch more than 3 or 4 millimeters then the multifunction switch is bad.
I actually tried this first. In my darkened garage I depressed the brake, looked in the driver's side rear-view mirror and saw that I had no brake light. It confirmed the posts by natenkiki2004 and Wolfie_85 that it was a bulb issue.

I replaced the rear bulbs only and both front and rear flashers worked. The rear wattage issue apparently made the front inop. Good stuff.

Thank you to everyone for the replies. They definitely made the job simple in fixing the issue.

If it turns on, but doesn't flash, the relay is bad, not the switch. It sounds like a bad rear bulb to me if the right side works fine.

Back