• Register Today It's free!

New front end squeak / screech

G-96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ONT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT , '00 Sport
Hey guys, I got a new noise that came up this past summer. It sounds like brief little 1 second squeaks when I'm driving, almost like wet rubber on metal. First guess was shocks, but I rocked it all over and it didn't make a squeak, it only happens when I'm driving.

Any thoughts on what it could be, it could be related to my other front end noise which sometimes comes and goes and is more of a deeper whirl. So I got deep whirling sometimes and high pitched squeaking at others..

It is NOT the bearings, just had them done and the squeaking was there before and after.
It is NOT the lower BJ's just had them done as well

I'm leaning towards upper balls joints, although the noise is weird or maybe bad CV shafts..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I should mentioned I tried to re create squeaking when parked and it doesn't happen, so it shouldn't be the shocks or the swing arm squeaking, it is more like something that is moving

Could also be the upper control arm bushings.

It looks like I will have to take apart to get to the problem.

Does anyone know what to look for in a bad CV shaft ? Is there any way to diagnose these with a visual ?

Bad CV shafts click, not squeak.

Could be the inner ball joint inside the drive shaft. 95-96 front drive shafts have an inner bearing on the end that connects to the T-case. Took me forever to find the squeak in mine. You only hear it when the vehicle is moving, and it will cycle like a rotation noise.

It sounds to me like u-joints. As you drive it forward, or backward, slowly you will hear a rhythmic squeak, squeak, squeak,.....

sounds like u-joints to me as well, had the same sound on my 91 and it turned out to be a bad joint, it sounded like it was coming from the front but was actually the rear joint at the axle

Remind where the U joint is again ? Is it joint on the CV shaft behind the rubber boot ?

Could be the inner ball joint inside the drive shaft. 95-96 front drive shafts have an inner bearing on the end that connects to the T-case. Took me forever to find the squeak in mine. You only hear it when the vehicle is moving, and it will cycle like a rotation noise.

my drive shaft is off right as I'm waiting for the boot.. but yes I did look there already, made the sound with the drive shaft on and still makes it with the shaft off.

I also did the rear end in the winter/spring, rear bearings, diff lube change so the noise should be from the front end

just looking at the range of motion in a U joint, it sounds right about the same as my squeak.. about 0.5 second every few seconds.. Now I'm just confused with all the shafts and joints. There are 2 shafts that move the front wheels, is this is or is it the 2 shafts under the truck. One of them is off so it could only be the rear if that is it but to me it sounds like problem is in the front.

04 sport trac front end squeak

Took it into Ford and they wanted $600 for ball joints. Turns out they sprayed it somewhere with wd40 and the squeak went away, for a while.

The breaks needed to be done and it always had road noise so I shot gunnned the whole thing. Everything but lower control arm. Bearings, rotor, brakes, upper control arm, stabilizer and shocks. It rides smooth and straight with out much attention to the steering wheel, better than ever. However the squeak is better but it didn't go away. I am thinking it has to do with the tortion springs but have no experience with them. What could make the squeak? On top of that the bearings with the new rotor had to be hammered in? and there is no room for the plastic dust cap?? Anyone know how to install one of these bearings properly? They don't come with instructions.

Thanks!

I will give it a shot

Thanks alot! I will replace them this weekend. Already the ride is 100% beter. I will do the rear shocks as well because the front were bad and because there is a sqeak there as well. Any ideas what it could be from?
I will let you know.
Thanks again!

its not the sway bar bushings

The only thing left is the lower ball joint and control arm. What is the proper procedure for filling ball joints with grease? Also the upper ball joint has a groove in it and a bolt goes thru the housing and gets tightened up. it looks like it should be loose enough for the ball joint shaft to turn or should it be tight so that the ball joint wont turn?

Thanks!

U-joints

Have you taken the rear drive shaft out? I would be willing to bet if you pull it loose from the rear differential you will find the rear joint is dry or binding.

Just a suggestion, could it be a motor mount, I am not to familiar with the mount on the Ex, but never rule that out. The truck is running when you are driving.

saga continues

Ok, did the sway bar bushings and still it sqeeks. I don't think its the lower control arm. I am leaning towards the springs. Both ends of the springs could be rubbing metal. Also the upper ball joint slips into the knuckle and a bolt goes thru the nuckle and tightens up on the ball joint. Should this be so tight that it holds the shaft of the ball joint or should it be loose so it will turn as the front wheel turns? This noise is comming form the front end and not under the car by the drive shaft or in the back end.

Thanks for everyones help.

Back