• Register Today It's free!

front end squeak.. suspension??

pistons3622

Reaction score
City, State
Perrysburg, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4.0 SOHC
i have a '99 xlt 4x4 and i'm gonna try my best to describe the noise coming from the front end. theres a loud squeaking noise whenever i go over bumps (at any speed), also when i turn corners (mainly at lower speeds), and when i hit sharp bumps in the road there is also a clunking or rattling noise.

it rides horribly and you can feel the smallest bumps in the road. also when taking corners it leans a little more than usual. the stabilizer bar was replaced about a year ago, but other than that the entire suspension is original. i've found alot of info on this site and if anyone can help me out that would be great!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the swaybar bushing. Theres a sticky at the top of the page showing how to replace it. I'd give each bushing a shot of WD40, be careful when spraying at the end of th e bar as to not get it on the brakes. Also sounds like the shocks are gone if its ridding horrible. Hope this helps.

I second the swaybar bushing. That was the problem for me.

if you've go the original rubber parts, replace them, you can try shooting them with silicone, but the best best is to replace them. Autozone sells an energy suspension kit that has all the (poly) bushings, and new end links for like $45.

You might also check your lower balljoints, that was the squeak on mine.

x2 for everything said. shoot some white lithium on the lower control arm bushings and see if it goes away. mine are pretty vocal.

MAN i'M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE SQUEAK AS I TURN..I WENT OUT 4WHEELING AND 2 DAYS LATER IT'S SQUEAKING LIKE CRAZY WHEN I HIT BUMPS AT SLOW SPEEDS AND TURNING AT SLOW SPEEDS,,AND IT'S DRIVING ME DAMN CRAZY.

Same thing happened to me. I went muddin and after I noticed some serious squeaking. My shocks were definitely squeaking so I replaced those first. Now, I still hear squeaking on one side when I turn and hit bumps. I stopped by autozone and the guy though it was either the front control arm bushing or something to do with the torsion bar. So, when I got home, I put some lubricant on the bushing and turned the wheel a bit and bounced the truck. BOOM the squeak was gone. I have a feeling this will only be temporary, so I'll probably replace the bushings this weekend. Give the oil a try.

squeak is ball joints - had the same problem.

In my opinion,

There is no way to tell exactly which component the squeak is coming from. Mine squeaked, too, in both my '97 and '01 XLTs. The temproary solution (this has still worked for me for over 8 months and counting) is to buy a can of silicone spray (NOT WD-40, it evaporates after a while, thus drying out the rubber further) from your preferred auto parts store and continually soak all the rubber components until the squeak diminishes; once in the morning and once in the evening (before or after your daily commute works too). After the squeak goes away, soak for another week for added protection. I went through one can per vehicle.

I should also add that if the lower ball joint vibrates when you jack up the front end, it should be replaced; just hold the castle nut as someone jacks up the car for confirmation.

Hope this helps,

ERUSH

I got under my truck and told my cousin to jump on the front end of my truck, it took me a while to detect the squeak but i found it coming from the strut. my coworker told me about the WD-40, it worked for a day. my bushings and lower ball joints are due for replacement but no noise form there. best bet will be to just replace the parts you need. i am.

Bad control arm bushings will also squeak badly.

Back