New Guy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Guy

Terry Ahr

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer
I have a 1999 explorer XLT 4.0 OHV. My problem is the instrument panel illumination lights, heater control panel lights, rear wiper light, etc. are all inoperative. They were intermittent for awhile. The bulbs in the cluster are good, the fuses are good. According to the Ford diagrams it uses the G100 ground, which I cant find. It's supposed to be left rear fender apron in the engine compartment. I have a new head light switch and that did not help. Has anyone else had this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Terry, welcome to EF. Did you check the dash dimmer next to the head light switch?. If you turn the wheel all the way up it turns on the interior light, & turning it down dims the lights. I just replaced the one in our 99 Sport because it was acting up. You can get one from a JY, Amazon, E Bay, or Rock Auto.

I don't have a diagram to show me which pins to jump on the dimmer switch or to test the switch itself. All I can do is swap switches and see if it works. I can't find a new F87B-11691-AE switch anywhere, only thing I can find is used.:( Do you know anything about the relay module under the dash above the gas pedal? Do any of those relays ever go bad or have any affect on the instrument lights?

Back