• Register Today It's free!

New Head Unit Install

CentreFordGuy

Reaction score
City, State
State College, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT
Hello. I have a 2001 Explorer XLT. There is no factory subwoofer and I am pretty sure that I have the Premium speakers. I currently have the CD/Tapedeck combo head unit. I am replacing the head unit and adding two 10" subs, with their own amplifier. Everyone is telling me that there is a factory amplifier in the vehicle somewhere that is currently powering the factory speakers and that I have to bypass it if I am going to modify my stereo system. Is this true and can anyone tell my why I need to bypass the factory amp? What do I need to do to bypass the amp if it is in fact necessary? Any info would be great. Thanks.

my explorer is a 96, but i have the jbl sound package and i had to run a a wiring harness from the back of my new deck all the way back to the the factory sub and amp, which bypasses it, i think the other reason i had to do this was i had no antenna connection on the back of my factory deck, it plugged into the factory amp, dont know if this helps any, just my 2 cents worth

Didn't I read somewhere that all explorers got premium speakers but no amp unless subwoofer present on the 99+ explorer models? Look in the back right compartment near the rear hatch. If it is there and is in fact factory it will be found in that compartment. I have a sport though so maybe yours is different. I wanna stick some 10s in those panels too if I ever go subwoofer back there. They look like they may only fit 8 which means I stay with the holes up front...

Mykal

Back