• Register Today It's free!

New here , custom 97 explorer 5.0

Explorer4SPL

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer 5.0
What's up guys ? My name is Steve I'm from San Diego , my truck is a white 1997 Ford Explorer 5.0 V8 2wd it's lowered up front with a nappa auto camber/caster kit it sits on a set of 22" black rims it also has a full car audio install done by myself 6 12" subwoofers with a custom ported box made from 3/4" mdf board There is a ton of stuff inside if you are interested in knowing , just ask me :) here are a few YouTube video I have of my truck I will post pictures of my truck tomorrow !

8aec3c46.jpg

59e2f296.jpg

6b98152a.jpg

1a9bd521.jpg

d5fbc285.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GYVMacRBik&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4KFdHThh3o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9Br6IS5iFQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dNxiMV7KsE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkahEjYK9o4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome , You Should make A Build thread For Your System , I'm Sure Alot of People Would like to See more , Nice Looking Sec Gen 5.0 ! , My Bro Had a Sec Gen 5.0 2wd , And We could not Figure Out if It Came Factory 2wd , Or if Someone took the Awd out and Made It 2wd , Either Way Welcome And Nice X

Cool thanks alot man , I might do that soon .
My truck is 2wd from the factory

That's cool , Me and my Bro Was not sure if it Was factory or not, but it turned his 22"s like stock with the 5.0

Yeah the v8 pushes the trick nice :) I love it only thing that sucks about this truck is the cost of gas lol

Yeah i Know Right , I Used To Travel The U.S Working and That Was Not Very Cost Effective , But I Met Alot Of Cool People And Made Money Doing It , As Well As Seeing Different States And Also Very Different Cars And Trucks All Over The Place , You Should Edit Your First Post With All Of Your Aftermarket Parts And Upgrades , I'm Curious To See What All You Have Done Minus The Leds , System And Rim's

That pretty much it besides the power and ground upgrades under the hood and camber/caster kit , I've done several repairs , new water pump , camshaft position sensor shaft the infamous squeak , upper control arm/ball joint assembly new serpentine belt , spark plugs and wires ..... I'll be doing a cold air intake soon and exhaust after I do my smog check to renew my tags , California is a PITA with smog checks

My truck has 130137 miles on it rite now , has rebuilt transmission and runs like a freakin champ

Sounds Like it Should Last A While , Good Job With it So Far ! , Whats The Plans For paint and interior Mods ?

I like it :) I just got a 95 4.0, but man I really wish it had a 5.0. My friend has a 5.0 in his, it's fun. Not that it's fast to me, I've built several 5.0 Mustangs, but I didn't realize how much I'd miss a bit of power even if it was in a daily driver SUV.

What headunit and EQ are you running? I've got to figure out what I'll go with there. I think I'm gonna do Massive Audio 6.5" components up front and I have an amp for that. My friend has an older RE Audio 15" x.. with a big Hifonics amp, so I may buy that.

PS, where did you run your power wire for your amps? I may have to go with 1 or 0 gauge, just not sure if I'm going to run into issues with where to run the wire.

I havnt out much thought into paint or interior yet but I'm adding a led underbody kit all around the truck and in the grill , both bumpers will be painted black and all the faded trim will be painted black as well

Here is a build log of what's installed at the moment

1997 Ford Explorer 5.0 car audio build log !

Head unit: Sony gtx350mp
Equalizer: Clarion EQS746
Custom built slot ported box
6 12" hifonics HFI12D4 subwoofers
Bass amp: soundstream TX1.2600D half ohm stable
4ch amp: cerwin vega v400.4#
Soundstream tx.4 tweeters installed on A pillars
Cadence 5x7 coaxial speakers in the front doors#
Knock off monster cable RCA#
cadence super flex 0 gauge power and ground wire
Big 4 wire upgrade 4 awg power wire from positive of alternator to battery with 150amp fuse ,all grounds upgraded#
Mini secondary battery under #rear seat 2 250amp anl fuse blocks for the bass amp and between batteries#

I ran my zero guage power wire under the carpet on the right side of the drivers seat between the center console than in between the backseats had to pull the drivers seat and driver side rear seat to get it ran nicely , on another note I want to get a double din indash DVD but the head unit does the job for now I guess .... Everything that has been done to this truck so far has all been done by me besides the camshaft position shaft I had a mechanic do for a very fair price

Here's my truck the day I purchased it in November 2011
2a80f0b0.jpg

Here it is now pic was taken yesterday march 2012
b072e641.jpg

Oh also to run the 0 gauge I had to drill a fat hole underneath the brake master cylinder thru the firewall

Nice Build Log So Far , Will Look good With The Underbody Kit , I Put A Red Street Glow Underbody Kit On My Old 96 blazer , But that was before the Led kits were selling , Looking Forward of videos with the Leds !

Thanks guys , hopefully I can install it in a couple weeks

Just ordered a blue led under chassis kit for my truck and hids 5000k

Paint those b-pillars and d-pillars black again! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back