New here from Canada

apuszczalowski

Reaction score
City, State
Welland, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
Just thought I would introduce myself

My name is Andrew, I'm from Southern Ontario (just outside of Buffalo). I am new to the "Explorer scene" and new to Fords all together. I recently bought a '99 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0L SOHC to replace my daily driver '98 Dodge Dakota 2wd single cab pickup. I wanted something with 4wd due to the weather I can encounter driving in to work, and something with more room to put my stuff in without having to leave my gear open in the bed, or stuffed in the cab with me. I am a Jeep guy and originally picked up a v8 Grand Cherokee to replace the truck but it ended up having a blown transmission and I ran out of time to replace it in the nice weather (no garage to work in :(:mad: ) so I started looking for something else and stumbled upon the explorer.

I picked it up cheap at a small used car dealership cause the engine had a rattle noise that they took to Ford and had them look at it and they said its a noisey/sticky lifter/valve.

Since buying this truck just before christmas, I changed the thermostat, and plan to fix the rattle noise when the weather gets warmer. As of now my plan is to drive it for the winter and decide in the summer/fall weither to keep it as a DD or get something else.

Future plans are to get better then 15mpg doing mostly highway driving, and probably put on a cold air intake with a new muffler (I think the muffler is starting to go). After that I would love to have the overhead info centre display and the message centre, but don't know if its worth the effort to swap in.

I have one other vehicle at the moment that I have big plans for once I can sell my house and get one with a garage, I plan on stripping down and rebuilding a 1987 Jeep YJ and putting it up on 35's. I have most of the parts to do it, just don't have the space out of the weather.

I have found this site to be a good source for info and tips and will be spending alot of time here.

Besides the horrible mileage (even for an SUV) I'm not disliking Ford after driving many of the other brands like GM (my first vehicle an '85 s10 Jimmy) Chevy ('92 Beretta GT), Pontiac ('88 6000 LE), Toyota ('87 4x4 pickup), Jeep ('90 YJ, '98 Grand Cherokee Limited(serious pig on gas fully loaded with the 5.9L v8), '87 YJ) and Dodge ('98 2wd Dakota single cab sport) all in my short 28 years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum (and Ford) Andrew!

I wouldn't assume that the rattle you're hearing is what they told you. Check this thread, you may have something that you really need to get fixed right away... I would check it out just in case.

CLICK ME

You can run a search for "00M12" for more info...

Welcome to the forum (and Ford) Andrew!

I wouldn't assume that the rattle you're hearing is what they told you. Check this thread, you may have something that you really need to get fixed right away... I would check it out just in case.

CLICK ME

You can run a search for "00M12" for more info...

Thanks,

Yeah, I figured after doing more research here after I bought it that it could be the guides and all the fun timing stuff too

Oh well, just another weekend of wrenching fun on the driveway in my future

That's what makes the weekend fun... :)

Back