• Register Today It's free!

New Kid on the Block

Road Runner

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
None Yet
Hi i am looking to buy my first car, hopefully an Explorer. Anyway, the one i am looking at is a 1993 Sport. The guy says it needs a new clutch and that is all it needs. I was wondering what else i should look for when i go take a look at it? any help would be appreciated.

By the way its black and body looks to be in good shape, its going for $1000.
I still have to find out how many miles it has, hopefully not too much.

thanks

a 93 will likely have 150+ K miles on it, but dont let that scare you if well taken care of it can last a long long time.

$1000 is a good price for a 4x4 that runs and drives and everything works.
Expect to pay $1000 or more for a clutch however, it is likely it also needs a new slave cylinder and if you pay for the clutch job it gets expensive.

Look for the usual, rust around the rear wheel wells, rust around the tailights (under the hatch), make sure the 4x4 works, listen to the engine run and then idle....etc

hey, i appreciate yor reply

thanks for the help

oh thought of more:

Check the condition of the radius arm bushings, a quick glace at the radius arm crossmember can tell you if they have ever been changed (rivets = maybe, bolts = yes they have been)

Look for coolant leaks at the plastic side tanks on the radiator, see if the A/C blows cold, if it pulls to one side or the other under braking, etc.

If there is fluid all around the bottom of the trans bellhousing then the salve cyl may in fact be leaking (clutch slave cyl)

I could go on and on :)

Back