New member 2011 explorer transmission hard shift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New member 2011 explorer transmission hard shift

JCur91

Reaction score
City, State
Chester Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorerlimited
Got a 2011 explorer limited and it was shifting hard between 2nd and third gear after about two days after purchase, had it serviced, was told the transmission needed to be reset and updated or whatever they said, I wasn’t buying what they said.. drove it for a day or so afterwards and my wife and sister said it begin shifting hard between 1-5, The truck jerked so hard it almost threw my sister into the dash. Just returned it once more to the dealership and they have it for a two days so far, any advice, or ideas what could be the resolving issue that needs to be address? I appreciate anything and everything guys!!!

Got a 2011 explorer limited and it was shifting hard between 2nd and third gear after about two days after purchase, had it serviced, was told the transmission needed to be reset and updated or whatever they said, I wasn’t buying what they said.. drove it for a day or so afterwards and my wife and sister said it begin shifting hard between 1-5, The truck jerked so hard it almost threw my sister into the dash. Just returned it once more to the dealership and they have it for a two days so far, any advice, or ideas what could be the resolving issue that needs to be address? I appreciate anything and everything guys!!!

How was it serviced?
This transmission uses Mercon LV, anything else will give you problems and/or damage the transmission. The viscosity of the Mercon LV is very specific, use only Motorcraft fluid, Transmission additives are a big no also, if you need have the dealer or a respectable shop do a Mercon LV flush. Also check for the correct fluid level.

Got a 2011 explorer limited and it was shifting hard between 2nd and third gear after about two days after purchase, had it serviced, was told the transmission needed to be reset and updated or whatever they said,..............................
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Chances are they likely had the battery disconnected or replaced. If that happened, the transmission has to 'relearn' its shift points. From page 350 of your Owner's Manual.
When the battery is disconnected or a new battery is installed, the
automatic transmission must relearn its shift strategy. As a result, the
transmission may have firm and/or soft shifts. This operation is
considered normal and will not affect function or durability of the
transmission. Over time, the adaptive learning process will fully update
transmission operation.

I'm not saying that is the case but thought I'd point that out FYI.

Peter

Back