• Register Today It's free!

new member from Virginia

Stangracer

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
I have been reading the forum for a few days and just decided to join up...

My wife and I are currently shopping for an Explorer. A few months ago we test drove a new Platinum and new Sport and fell in love with both... We really like the appearance of the Sport but don't necessarily need the additional performance of the Ecoboost.

While shopping around for 2018's we have come across several low mileage used Explorers that have sparked our interest. The Explorer will primarily be driven on vacations, longer road trips, etc... and used by the wife when she needs the additional space. My wife's "must haves" are the BLIS system, navigation, panoramic sun roof and the Sport "appearance". We have found a few Limiteds and XLTs that "check all the boxes" of my wife's "must haves" with the exception of the Sport "appearance".

How difficult is it to "black out" all of the chrome trim on a Gen 5 Explorer? I guess what I am asking is would it be a difficult undertaking to disguise a Limited or XLT as a Sport? I have seen some black grill "overlays" and the police interceptor style headlight bezels but none of the taillight bezels...

While looking at 2015, 2016 and 2017's is there anything to look for? potential problems, etc...

Thanks in advance and any suggestions, advice, etc... would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Brooklyn Bay... I will check it out.

Back