SixPonies

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mahomet, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello All,

Been lurking/trolling here for a few months now, so I guess I'll finally go ahead and introduce myself. This ain't my first ride in the Ford truck/SUV rodeo. I've owned two Rangers, two Sport Tracs, and currently have a 2011 Edge. One of my main hobbies is turning wrenches on/modifying my cars, and also showing them. I also have a 2008 Mustang convertible Warriors In Pink edition as a fun/show car.

So this past winter I decided I wanted a Gen 5 Explorer, and I joined this site and began mainly lurking/trolling, doing a ton of research in my quest for the right Explorer. About a month ago I finally settled upon the right one and bought it. It's a Tuxedo Black 2011 FWD Limited with the 300A pkg and All-Weather Floor Mats, Power Liftgate, Trailer Tow Package, and Dual Panel Moonroof as options. It had only 37,500 miles on it when I bought it for a pretty good price.

I'm loving it so far, and have already added the Huskyliner 1st/2nd row floor liners, Huskyliner cargo mat behind the 2nd row, Huskyliner mud flaps, and a ProClip mount on the center stack for my iPhone.

Future mods planned:

• K&N Intake
  • MagnaFlow Exhaust
  • SCT X4 w/custom tunes, probably from Torrie at Unleashed Tuning
  • Weathertech VentVisors
  • Tint front windows to match the rest
  • Possibly rims sometime in the future
  • Custom pin striping

I also plan to upgrade a bunch of the lighting, both inside & out. Not sure I want to go the full HID route. I may just stick with the easy plug/play bulb upgrade. I've had really good experiences with SilverStars in other vehicles. I had a pair of SS Ultras last about four years in my '04 Sport Trac Adrenalin. So I'm thinking of installing the zXe bulbs in the headlights/fog lights, maybe the SS ambers in the front turn signals, and SS bulbs in the reverse/license plate lights. Or, I may decide to up-convert some of those to LEDs and upgrade the interior lighting to LED also. Haven't totally decided on the lighting upgrade-I'm still researching those options, mostly here in these forums.

That's about it for now. Thanks to all for the valuable knowledge that you've shared with all here.

Welcome to the forum! I look forward to seeing the evolution of your X.

Well, crap. We had a terrible storm blow through last night. Thunder, lightning, raing, and HAIL. Pounded the crap out of the Explorer. Repair estimate is $3500. Frustrating, since I've had her a little under a month. But at least nobody was hurt, and my house is still standing. The Explorer can be fixed...

Back