New member, lots of questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New member, lots of questions

Stazz75

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT 5.0
So I have had my 97 XT for a while now. I love it. Thinking about doing the TT and warrior shackles. I already have rear sag and need that fixed. Added some trail diggers a few months ago and the tires grip great in the mud and on the road. Put a ram air filter in it and got a little better gas mileage. Needs an o2 sensor which I have just need to have my exhaust guy put it in (one that's bad is against tranny and exhaust has to be cut and dropped to be replaced). And speaking of exhaust, I have removed both rear cats and the resonator and it's all new from the front cats back. Have a flow master super 40 muffler that sounds great! Both pipes come out at an angle behind the rear passenger side tire and look kinda like the exhaust tip on the new power strokes. Anyways, besides my exhaust leak and o2 sensor, what can I do about my gas mileage? I'm only getting around 12 - 14mpg.. also, going back to the lift, has anybody done a TT, torsion key, shackles, and aal all together to get like a 4-5 inch lift or is it even possible? Also, how can I add pics of my ride?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can raise it a little with the tt and aal or coil overs and or shackles..but imo you would need to add a 3" body lift to be where you want to go.
Keep your foot real light on the throttle is one way to get better mpg..lol.
I can see close to 20 on a longer drive. But if you thought this ride was going to be a gas saver you're wrong!

With the 302 I knew it wouldn't be a gas saver but I thought I'd get more than what I am. And the 12-14 is with keeping my foot out of it.. and as far as body lift, I can't find one for the explorer. I've been searching around for a while and can't find a suspension lift besides the shackles aal and torsion key..

Also how do I post pics on here?

With the 302 I knew it wouldn't be a gas saver but I thought I'd get more than what I am. And the 12-14 is with keeping my foot out of it.

There is no explorer in existence that is a "gas saver" lol. I've owned 15 of them. 1 first gen, the other 14 second gens. had a few with the 4.0 ohv v6, most of them with the 4.0 sohc v6, and 2 with the 302 v8. they are all gas slurpers. the 5.0 was the very worst, i got maybe 13mpg tops. the ohv v6 was also terrible, not as bad as the 5.0 tho. the sohc is the best on gas, but even with that i only get about 16mpg.

I'm not looking for a gas saver, but I know I should be getting at least 2 or 3 more mpg. My uncle has a mounty with the 302 and he's getting 18 so I know it's possible..

I'm not looking for a gas saver, but I know I should be getting at least 2 or 3 more mpg. My uncle has a mounty with the 302 and he's getting 18 so I know it's possible..

driving very conservatively, i'm seeing around 16+ around town on both my 2WD V8's. i find cooler weather, not using the A/C (and non-reform gas) gets me 1.5-2 more mpg. during the summer 14.5-15 mpg. i do very little hwy driving, but when i do i've seen 22+ as a best. i don't think 18 mpg is realistic for the V8 unless you live somewhere very flat (like FL) and keep your foot out of it as much as possible.

driving very conservatively, i'm seeing around 16+ around town on both my 2WD V8's.

you are gettin that cuz its 2wd. the AWD ones average 12/13. i only WISH i could find a 2wd v8 explorer.....drool...:D

i don't think 18 mpg is realistic for the V8 unless you live somewhere very flat (like FL) and keep your foot out of it as much as possible.

+1

i grannied my 5.0's and got 15 at the very best. they are extremely thirsty engines.

Ok well I will just change plugs and wires and get my exhaust leak and o2 sensor fixed and hopefully that helps on gas.. now onto the lift. I am purchasing some warrior shackles and doing the TT in the front. Would it be possible to do aal and torsion key on top of that or no?

Back