New Member | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CRUTHERS

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
Hey, all. Thanks for having me. I found you today thanks to my 2018 XPS’s tires that are wearing prematurely. Beyond frustrating, as I and my wife really love this vehicle. Must be my/our 20th vehicle, but first time on Hankooks.
Anyway, the XPS is our “family car”, so she drives it more than I do. She’s a solid, safe driver in a straight line, but can’t park worth a you know what. I’d already been concerned about how quickly these tires were wearing-out, so I’d already investigated and saw a few YT vids. Yesterday, she hit a curb in the parking garage where she works. Tire was slashed and quickly deflated.
I just returned home from the dealership. We’ve only just turned 23,000 miles, but had just 4/32 of remaining tread, so I couldn’t just replace the tire that was destroyed. now, I’m trying to figure the best way to approach Hankook about this issue. I didn’t feel good about replacing the tires with the same, weak-wearing model, but I did it out of convenience.
I’ve kept-up with maintenance and rotations, and my dealer will provide any info I need to at least get a pro-rated discount.
I guess I’m just asking for some guidance here. We both love everything else about the car; it’s just this issue that has me concerned, as I’ve never had to replace tires at such a low mileage.
again, thanks for having me. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Welcome to this forum! The city streets cause a lot of wear & tear on everything. Even new tires can't survive too long. There are certain streets which I avoid because I've had damage numerous times.

Thanks, BB!
Yeah, they’re rough up here in CT, and full of potholes every Spring, after the plows and salt destroy them. They’re repaired by August, only to get ruined again. Have to drive extra-carefully around here. Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome to the forum. I would get the alignment checked before replacing the tires. The roads & pot holes wreck havoc on the alignment. How are the tires wearing, inside tread edge, outer tread edge, center tread?.

Back