new mustang steering wheel questions- please read | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new mustang steering wheel questions- please read

expo5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Red Wing, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
I have long been planning to run a custom (most likely billet) steering wheel in my 1996. However, i really can't seem to decide on one that i don't feel is a little tacky. I just can't see wanting a flamed or spiderwebbed steering wheel and the more plain ones really aren't that much better.

So i got to thinking and i'd really like to run the 2005+ mustang one instead. anyone know about fitment?

Attachments

• 0430_2.jpg
    0430_2.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 398

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Expo, thats a great mod, I'm planning on using the stock steering column in my Rod, but hate the stock wheel.
Have you got a good source for a wheel ? I'll keep my ear to the ground and if one comes up I'll let you know.

I haven't figured this one out yet-

my truck is in storage for a few more months yet, and i've been focusing on modding the new car now anyways for a bit (it will be show ready for this season with the stereo in progress and the wheels i already bought)- i'll be able to shift my focus back to the explorer soon.

i highly doubt getting this wheel in will be terribly easy...

Hi,
I'm running a Mustang 2 tone leather wheel grey/black on my 1998. The wheel is from a early 2000's. I had to do a little grinding and drilling to first get it on the shaft and second reuse my origional cruise switches. I love it compared to the OEM skinny rubber/vinyl cruddy wheel it had.

my best information says that this new style mustang wheel is different after 2004... hopefully, it is no more owrk than yours was.

yeah, our stock steering wheel absolutely sucks. particularly since this is my daily-

Attachments

• i-9.jpg
    i-9.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 340

man anything will fit with enough determination. but u gotta take into consideration your airbags. my friend had a silverado with a billet steering wheel which deleted the air bag. but unfortunatley a woman turned into him and totaled the truck and his insurance company wouldnt cover his bills b/c he had tampered with the saftey equipment.

my truck is literally show only/travels on a trailer kind of thing

If you could machine an adapter I think It could work no problem, but the clocksprings and gettiing everthing to work might be more of a challenge. I would be worried about a mustang wheel looking right with the explorer steering column cover behind it.

I think it is a great idea and I would assume it would be a straight swap, but I cant say for sure

Exp5.0 - I think the 2005 mustang wheel would look awesome in your ride. If you like it; you'll get it to fit. Heck, you made the rear doors open the wrong way, what's a different steering wheel compared to that?

Ummm turning and not turning :)

It's a show truck on a trailer remember? Doesn't need to turn. :rolleyes:

No really, I don't think he'd have a problem making the steering wheel work if he likes it enough. Yes, fabbing will be required but my point is; the guy has fabbed the heck out of the truck and one little steering wheel mod won't be a big project compared to the rear doors opening the wrong way.

It's a how truck on a trailer remember? Doesn't need to turn. :rolleyes:

Perfect reply :)

Okay back on topic.

Yeah he obviously knows what he is doing. I just cant wait to see that sucker finished.

yeah id like to see some pics of that **** too. im not a fan of 90 percent of the aftermarket billet steering wheels. that 05 stang wheel would look clean/factory. i mean after all its all about the details. not how much **** u have done.

it's about how much stuff you have done with the details done right

expo5.0 - Have you decided to give this steering wheel a try?

Are you getting the stang bag as well?

truck is still in storage for the winter- got too many other projects for now etc.

Hi,
I'm running a Mustang 2 tone leather wheel grey/black on my 1998. The wheel is from a early 2000's. I had to do a little grinding and drilling to first get it on the shaft and second reuse my origional cruise switches. I love it compared to the OEM skinny rubber/vinyl cruddy wheel it had.

Could you give some specifics on what/where you had to grind/drill to make your wheel fit? I'd love to get the Ford Racing steering wheel that's a direct replacement for 94-04 Mustangs. I'd appreciate any advice you could throw my way. Thanks!

Back