Mustang Steering Wheel Conversion

BonesDT

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Westchester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Red '99 Sport SOHC 4x4
My steering wheel was getting soggy, the leather was fading, and the cruise control buttons were leaking light. So I went out and bought the FR500 steering wheel to upgrade and billet cruise control buttons. Never judge a book by its cover. They all looked like they would fit, but I realized Ford decided to make, what would only make logical sense to create identically, completely different steering assemblies.

I forgot to take pics of the cruise control buttons, but Mustang billet buttons will not fit the Explorer. Mustang cruise control buttons are hard plastic pieces that operate by see-sawing. The 3-buttons on the right side are separated by 2 pieces. They are also not lighted. Explorer cruise control buttons are soft and one piece on both sides and light up with the instrument panel. The rear plastic housings for the buttons are different and actually mount up to the steering wheel completely different as well, so simply getting Mustang cruise control button housings are not going to cut it.

Attachments

• 01 - Explorer versus Mustang Steering Wheel.JPG
    01 - Explorer versus Mustang Steering Wheel.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 4,113
  • 04 - Cruise Control Button Wear.JPG
    04 - Cruise Control Button Wear.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 4,170
  • 03 - Wheel Leather Wear.jpg
    03 - Wheel Leather Wear.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 3,398
  • 02 - Lumps.JPG
    02 - Lumps.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 3,486

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pics

Attachments

• 08 - Explorer Air Bag Off.JPG
    08 - Explorer Air Bag Off.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 3,495
  • 05 - Air Bag Bolt.JPG
    05 - Air Bag Bolt.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 3,337
  • 06 - Explorer Air Bag Top.JPG
    06 - Explorer Air Bag Top.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 3,362
  • 07 - Explorer Air Bag Bottom.JPG
    07 - Explorer Air Bag Bottom.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 3,380

pics2

Attachments

• 09 - White-Out.JPG
    09 - White-Out.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 3,373
  • 12 - Explorer underside.JPG
    12 - Explorer underside.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 3,480
  • 11 - Ex ABSC installed.JPG
    11 - Ex ABSC installed.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 3,361
  • 10 - Pulling 2.JPG
    10 - Pulling 2.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 3,376

pics3

Attachments

• 13 - Explorer underside zoom.JPG
    13 - Explorer underside zoom.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 3,393
  • 15 - Air Bag  Sliding Contact Comparo.JPG
    15 - Air Bag Sliding Contact Comparo.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 3,377
  • 16 - ABSC clearance.JPG
    16 - ABSC clearance.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 3,395
  • 14 - Explorer Steering Column.JPG
    14 - Explorer Steering Column.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 3,803

pics4

Attachments

• 17 - Steering Column Shafts Comparo Far.JPG
    17 - Steering Column Shafts Comparo Far.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 3,332
  • 18 - Steering Wheel Mounting Points.JPG
    18 - Steering Wheel Mounting Points.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 3,343
  • 20 - Shaft Lower Ends.JPG
    20 - Shaft Lower Ends.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 3,481
  • 19 - U-Joints.JPG
    19 - U-Joints.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 3,389

pics5

Attachments

• 22 - Turn Singal Cancel Cam.JPG
    22 - Turn Singal Cancel Cam.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 3,315
  • 23 - Multi-Function Switch.JPG
    23 - Multi-Function Switch.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 3,296
  • 21 - Checking Length.JPG
    21 - Checking Length.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 3,311

Lc1

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 3,264
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 3,293
  • 24 - Lock Cylinder Part I.JPG
    24 - Lock Cylinder Part I.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 3,259

Lc2

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 3,234
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 3,231

more pics

Attachments

• 27 - Semi-Final Product.JPG
    27 - Semi-Final Product.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 3,419
  • 26 - Bearing Tolerance Ring.JPG
    26 - Bearing Tolerance Ring.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 3,256
  • 25 - Snap Ring.JPG
    25 - Snap Ring.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 3,256

wow thats looks like alot of work just to change the steering wheel, Looks great thought!

That is awesome!...

I like it!

Ryan

wow that is cool. when do we get to see the billet stuff?

Wow, I am thoroughly impressed.

This is my first post here. I'm actually a mustang guy. I came across this post because I've been searching casually for a few answers about a steering wheel project I have in mind.

I actually have the FR500 steering wheel too (Direct swap for us :) ). However, for years I've been trying to figure out if I could ever adapt explorer/ranger cruise buttons to my mustang. The sole purpose of this is to have the illuminated buttons. From what I could tell, your cruise buttons have a bigger connector and a little ground on one of the bolts. I was toying with the idea of finding a wiring diagram from explorers and seeing if I could adapt your cruise buttons to my FR500 mustang wheel, and maybe tap into a power source somewhere for illumination.

Bones, since you're already familiar with the differences between mustang and explorer wheels, do you know offhand if the explorer cruise buttons can mount on the mustang? I can't tell if the angle of the bolt holes are different. From what you say, it sounds like there may be an issue with lining it up on the tupperware, but there weren't any pictures. If they don't mount on the mustang wheel, what kind of fabrication would have to be done?

Also, any suggestions on wiring the explorer buttons to work correctly in the mustang? I realize this is a fussy and seemingly difficult project just to get a few illuminated buttons, but your resolve is better than most of the mustang guys I've spoken to.

Finally, does anyone know which year explorers/rangers illuminated green? My 02's gauge cluster is green, so it would have to match that.

Also, if I may offer a suggestion regarding the off center steering wheel.

Due to the shape of the mustang shaft, when re-installing the wheel, you have to turn hard to the right as you tighten the T-50 bolt. I had the same problem when I installed the FR500. However I re-pulled it, then installed it while pulling hard to the right and tightening the bolt at the same time (ideally you want 2 people to do this).

That should solve your off-center problem :)

This is a great detailed thread for the whole steering column and air bag assembly. I had to swap clock springs when I changed from my Limited steering wheel to a normal four spoke Explore wheel. There are some delicate plastic parts in there, mainly around the lock cylinder and the small wiring connectors, PATS signal module.

Nice work, I was considering buying a Mustang SW before checking a local yard first. I did well for $25 for my current wheel. Regards,

OK, just to finish this up in case anyone digs this up in the future. I went on a "fix the little things" surge on my Ex this weekend.

When I reinstalled my wheel, I used the Mustang turn signal cam and it made for a frustrating operation. The cams are phased differently, but they both fit both shafts, so make sure you use the Ex's cam.

Attachments

• Turn Signal Cam Comparo 1.JPG
    Turn Signal Cam Comparo 1.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 2,962
  • Turn Signal Cam Comparo 2.JPG
    Turn Signal Cam Comparo 2.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 2,921

Cruise Control Wiring

Attachments

• Horn Switches.jpg
    Horn Switches.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 2,993
  • Cruise Control Wiring.jpg
    Cruise Control Wiring.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 3,175
  • Cruise Control Wiring (2).jpg
    Cruise Control Wiring (2).jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 3,074

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have to use the Mustang Clockspring Assembly with the Mustang Steering Wheel, because the Explorer's will not fit. The Mustang's clockspring has less wires because the Mustang cruise control buttons are not illuminated.

Oddly, You have to swap the horn wires like shown in the first pic unless you want your horn going off all the time so that the black wire is grounded as opposed to the purple. I swapped the connectors since the upper one is bigger.

The Mustang's right cruise control buttons work just like the Explorer's. However the left side on/off switch does not have the resistor you need. So you need to splice in a 1000-ohm resistor in the purple wire directly after the left-side switches (the Explorer has this resistor integrated in the switch box).

Back