New owner 2002 ST | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New owner 2002 ST

One eyed willy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport trac
Just picked this up on Saturday! We needed a utility vehicle and a DD. spent 14 hours yesterday cleaning it from top to bottom, removing the rubber matting, seats and all. I have a few questions:

1) my interior trim code is QT, I want to get some paint to fix the door panels, door handles and radio trim....suggestions on where to get and what actual,colors I need?

2) I'm wanting to do a remote start system, does it have a PATS system?

3) can fog lights be installed into the non-fog light front bumper?

4) my current center console has the bag in the middle...is there a newer/better console that will fit maybe from a newer body style?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ST's either came with the solid center console like you see in most vehicles or the bag. I think if you look around on craigslist or in junkyards you could find the solid version and install it in place of the bag/flip down armrest. If you do some digging there's some others that have console questions. Just going down the 1st page i saw this thread from a company. Not necessarily the cheapest/best route but at least gives you somewhere to start. Here's the link : http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246514

As for the other stuff not too sure. I think that the non-foglight bumpers just have a cover over the holes and you could probably mount fogs in the same spot as stock.

By the way welcome to the forum. Its definitely a great source of info.

1. Not sure on color code, I use Krylon Fusion UV protected paint for plastics. Prep work is where everything matters.

2. As far as I know the ST doe's have a PATS system but alot of people with them install remote starters, do a quick search on remote starters (project threads with show up).

3. Yes You just have to cut out the block off plates in the bumper cover and install the factory fog lights.

4. You can use a full console from a '01-05 Sport Trac or a '95-01 Explorer. NCranchero did a great thread on conversions about this with tons of pictures.

Thanx for the help.

Next question.....I'd like to do a overhead console and I think the explorer one will fit? How hard are those to put onto a regular headliner and will they fit between the sun visors?

Howdy, Willy -

Here's a a little information from a previous thread on the topic of center console swapping -

I've searched on this and I can't find the specific info to be for certain.

Will a 2004 Explorer (full) center floor console replace the 2002 sport trac console with that stupid little bag???

Thanks
-D

NO. You would need a console out of a 2nd Gen or '01+ Sport

The 2nd Gen 4-door full consoles won't work.The full length console HAS to be Sport or Sport Trac Gen 1 because of the crash module location. It fooled me too but it just isn't worth the trouble to do it unless you find the illusive full console with no rear air or radio controls. Never seen one. If you just want a better short console see my posts on that swap. By the time you read this you could have just about done it. The bag console, uh how do I put this, SUCKS! It's here but I'd have to search for it. View it easily in pdf here: http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/Console_Swap_Gen1.pdf

Back