• Register Today It's free!

New owner w/ questions

laldog

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ranger
I'm strongly thinking of purchasing a 2007 Sport Trac Limited. It's got close to 75k miles, fully loaded with all available options. (Bed cover, Nav system, bed extender, chrome 18" wheels, etc.)

Ok, I bought it, paid maybe a little too much, but summer is here and I really needed AC that works and a 2nd row of seating to cart around my 8 year old and her friends.

The thing is tight, looks great in my driveway, but of course I have questions...

1. What is the best "protectant product for all the exterior plastics (step bumper, etc)?

2. Should the same product be used on the tonneau cover to extend its life and keep it looking so good?

3. It appears I don't have alloy rims but rather plastic wheel covers. How do these hold up, especially in the long New England winter months??

4. I'm having buyers remourse. Please tell me that my ST will run forever and that there is no better P/U in the world.

Thanks in advance.

F

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats on your purchase! I know you're going to love your ST! I bought my 07 last summer, similar set up to yours with Nav, OEM tonneau cover and bed extender, V8, black and cream leather and I couldn't be happier with my baby. Get over your buyer's remorse and enjoy every mile you spend in your Trac. Enjoy the fact it's relatively rare compared with other nameplates and that you chose a really well-engineered, uniquely styled, functional vehicle to own.

As for keeping the tonneau cover looking good, I've just been using a combination liquid wash/carnuba wax product from Maguires each time I wash it and the tonneau cover looks as shiny as ever. I haven't used any other special products on the bumper cover steps and they don't look faded or dull at all.

As for the plastic wheel covers, afraid I'm no help as mine came with alloys.

Enjoy your ride and post some pictures--it's always great to see a new Sport Trac on the forum!

Congrats on the new purchase. I have a 2007 Limited as well and love mine. I also have the plastic wheel covers. They function pretty well and look good. I would have preferred full alloy wheels, but they work. As for the trim....I use Mothers Back to Black on my front spoiler, side step covers, and rear bumper cover. I have put it on the tonneau and the cover behind the hood/winshield wiper area as well, but not as often. You will enjoy the truck.....they are fine vehicles.

1. What is the best "protectant product for all the exterior plastics (step bumper, etc)?
Mother's Back To Black or "303". Back To Black is okay to use on gray trim. I recently switched from Armor All to "303" and like it a lot better although it is pricey.

2. Should the same product be used on the tonneau cover to extend its life and keep it looking so good?
Yes.

3. It appears I don't have alloy rims but rather plastic wheel covers. How do these hold up, especially in the long New England winter months??
Plastic doesn't rust. I wouldn't worry about it.

4. I'm having buyers remourse. Please tell me that my ST will run forever and that there is no better P/U in the world.
As long as you maintain it and change the fluids and filters they will run practically forever. I don't mean just changing the oil. Ford automatics are finicky about not being flushed and most people never think to do that. I would assume that yours has never been flushed, the manual says to do it at 100,000 miles but I would do it now. I got mine done at 50k. If yours is a 4x4 I would change the transfer case lube (it is ATF) now and every 30k. The manual says every 60k I think but it will look like tar after 30k. I would do the axles now too. The Valvoline Qwicky Lube here will change axle lube with a suction machine for $49.99. That is the only way to do the front anyway. The rear has a drain plug and is easy enough to do yourself, but at that price it might not be worth the hassle. They will do your transfer case for about $34.99. If you get a suction gun to fill them, the t-case and rear are doable yourself. I change my coolant every 50k (the manual says 100k).

Recap on my schedule:
Oil every 5000 or 7500 if synthetic.
Air and fuel filters every 30,000.
Transfer case every 30,000.
Transmission flush every 50,000 (the manual says 100k).
Rear axle every 30,000. I have been told the bearings are soft and some people have had trouble with them.
Front axle every 50,000.
Coolant every 50,000.
Spark plugs 50,000.

My 08 has 71k on it, the only major issues I've had is that two right front hub and bearing assemblies have been replaced and the alternator. Gotta love extended warranties. :thumbsup:

I believe the 6R80 is filled for life... can you point out where in the manual it specifies for 100k trans fluid changes?

I believe the 6R80 is filled for life... can you point out where in the manual it specifies for 100k trans fluid changes?
My bad, it's in the manual on my 08 for 150k. I can scan it when I get back to the office. That being said, I seriously doubt the tranny would last that long without a fluid change and there is no way I'm going that far on fluid in a vehicle I plan to keep for a while. "Filled for life" and "lifetime fluid" are not the same thing. All that means is that you don't have a dipstick so Ford can save $5.99 on building the thing. I had a Ranger and another Sport Trac previously with the same engine and tranny and they both called for a tranny flush every 30,000 miles. Mine like most Sport Tracs has a 4.0 V6 and 5R55RE tranny. Your V8 and 6 speed auto may be different. Regardless, rare is the Ford automatic that will last much past 100k without a fluid change.

Ounce of prevention = pound of cure

Same deal with coolant. You CAN leave it in for 100k but I'd rather not gamble a head gasket replacement for the little bit it costs me to change it early. On your V8 the plugs are allegedly good for 100k but if you leave them in that long they tend to break off when removed because they are a two-piece plug and fixing that when they break off in the head is an expensive proposition. A new set at the dealer is $300+ with labor but it's still a lot cheaper than new or repaired heads.

Ford, like any manufacturer, mostly cares about what will get you through the warranty period. After that you're on your own and they don't have to give a crap. In fact, they'd prefer your stuff break down after 100k and you buy a new one.

I seriously doubt the tranny would last that long without a fluid change and there is no way I'm going that far on fluid in a vehicle I plan to keep for a while.

Why do you doubt that a transmisison won't last 150k without a fluid change? personal experience? My gen1 ST and Ranger both shifted perfectly to nearly 200k on the original transmission and fluid without failure, and for all I know are still going fine as I sold them...

"Filled for life" and "lifetime fluid" are not the same thing. All that means is that you don't have a dipstick so Ford can save $5.99 on building the thing.

Ford did not use a traditional dipstick on the 6R80 because a dipstick is the main cause of contaminants entering the transmission. There is a large removable plug on the passenger side with a dipstick to check levels. There are also other reasons the traditional fluid flush is not easy or even practical with the 6R80...

I had a Ranger and another Sport Trac previously with the same engine and tranny and they both called for a tranny flush every 30,000 miles.

I have owned a ranger (94) and first gen sport trac (05) also, and have never heard of a 30,000 trans fluid change interval...

rare is the Ford automatic that will last much past 100k without a fluid change.

I disagree. In the real world people drive these trucks and never give the transmissions much thought. For the small population of 'enthusiasts' owners that post on car forums it may be common to change fluids at very short intervals with a false sense of extending the life of components, but it's my opinion that unless you are using the vehicle in extreme conditions, these things are at best a 'feel good' measure, worst a waste of money. I've performed used oil analysis, I have done research from other forums like bobistheoilguy.com where people perform real world tests on fluid life to form my opinions on this subject...

Why do you doubt that a transmisison won't last 150k without a fluid change? personal experience? My gen1 ST and Ranger both shifted perfectly to nearly 200k on the original transmission and fluid without failure, and for all I know are still going fine as I sold them...
My sister's old Explorer grenaded the tranny right about 100k. Ditto a number of people on the other Sport Trac board. My cousin works at a large used car lot and for any Taurus they get at auction they automatically rebuild the tranny. Otherwise the new owner will bring it back. Tauruses for example DO call for a tranny flush every 30k, and that's everyone not just severe service, almost no one does it and the trannys expire right around 100k. I have had the tranny flushed in my wife's 03 Taurus every 25k since new, it has 150k on it now and shifts perfectly and never been touched otherwise. Probably a Taurus world record.

Ford did not use a traditional dipstick on the 6R80 because a dipstick is the main cause of contaminants entering the transmission. There is a large removable plug on the passenger side with a dipstick to check levels. There are also other reasons the traditional fluid flush is not easy or even practical with the 6R80...
Fine enough. IMO unless you see a leak there is no reason to check it anyway.

I have owned a ranger (94) and first gen sport trac (05) also, and have never heard of a 30,000 trans fluid change interval...
Then you didn't read the manual close enough. I know my 02 Ranger called for a tranny flush every 30k and I'm pretty sure my old 05 Trac did also.

I disagree. In the real world people drive these trucks and never give the transmissions much thought.
Some people are lucky.

For the small population of 'enthusiasts' owners that post on car forums it may be common to change fluids at very short intervals with a false sense of extending the life of components, but it's my opinion that unless you are using the vehicle in extreme conditions, these things are at best a 'feel good' measure, worst a waste of money. I've performed used oil analysis, I have done research from other forums like bobistheoilguy.com where people perform real world tests on fluid life to form my opinions on this subject...
I am on BITOG and get UOA's occasionally as well. That's why I run Pennzoil Platinum with a Mobil 1 filter and change it every 7500 miles. OP wants to know how to keep his Trac running for a long time. Changing the fluids is big. Get back to me when your Trac hits 150k if you haven't had to rebuild the tranny. Like I said, the manufacturers just want to get you through the warranty period, whether that's 3/36 or 100k powertrain. After that they don't care because it isn't their money.

Attachments

• Scan_Pic0002.jpg
    Scan_Pic0002.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 568

I will note that my manual, which is for all Ford trucks and SUV's, calls for a tranny flush every 30k on the TorqShift automatic that comes on the 3/4 ton and up trucks.

Specific to the 6R80 transmission

Fluid: Mercon LV
Fill Capacity: 12.10 qt (11.45 L)

Normal Maintenance Schedule: Transmission fluid change not necessary. Filled for life.
Severe Maintenance Schedule: Change the fluid at 150,000 mi (240,000 km) intervals.

Transmission Fluid Level Check:

NOTE: Should only need to be done if transmission starts to slip, shifts slowly or shows signs of transmission fluid leaking.

NOTE: Transmission fluid temperature must be between 175 and 185 degrees F (80 and 85 degrees C) when checking fluid level. Vehicle must be level, preferably on a hoist. Vehicle needs to be running and in PARK while checking fluid level.

1. With engine running, place transmission selector in each gear position and hold each gear for approximately 5 seconds.

2. Remove transmission fluid fill plug located on the passenger side front portion of the transmission case.

3. Separate transmission fluid level indicator from transmission fluid fill plug.

4. Wipe transmission fluid level indicator clean. Reinstall only the transmission fluid level indicator back into the transmission fluid fill plug hole to check transmission fluid level.

NOTE: Transmission fluid level must be at the upper level of the crosshatch mark. Do not overfill transmission.

5. Reattach transmission fluid level indicator to transmission fluid fill plug. Reinstall transmission fluid fill plug assembly and torque to 26 lb-ft (35 Nm).

Again, the vast majority of Sport Tracs are powered by a 4.0 V6 and 5R55RE transmission, not the V8 and 6R80 tranny. Seen too many of them go bad to risk not flushing mine.

Remember too that I am addressing OP with my answers and he has bought a used Trac with 75k on it and with used vehicles you rarely know how they were used or maintained. Did it tow a trailer? Don't know. Has the rear diff been underwater launching a boat? Don't know. Three years ago I bought a 97 Wrangler for my daughter with 132k on it. Drained the transfer case and got a 50/50 mix of ATF and water. Changed the axle lube and they were so sludged up that the automatic transmission immediately upshifted quicker with fresh lube in the axles. Just sayin'.

Me personally, I always change the filter and fluid at around 30,000....way back to the C-6 and C-4 days...cheap insurance... yep older than a dino...and with that said no failures ...knock on wood....my old 97 Exploder with a 302 ( no pun) still running strong...speaking of which, I just had the trans serviced and the usual crap was in the pan. 120,000 on the clock.

well geeze, dont know what I was thinking but was being so persistent about the 6r80 because I thought the OP said he had the v8! but just re-read and he didnt say...

Specific to the 6R80 transmission

Fluid: Mercon LV
Fill Capacity: 12.10 qt (11.45 L)

Normal Maintenance Schedule: Transmission fluid change not necessary. Filled for life.
Severe Maintenance Schedule: Change the fluid at 150,000 mi (240,000 km) intervals

I have a 2010 ST Adrenalin - 4.6 with 6 spd and 123,000km. I was just about to perform a tranny and filter fluid change. Should I hold off on this?

I had the fluid and filter changed in my 08 Adrenalin last year @50000. (4.6 6sp.) It was fairly clean...( I let it go to 50,000 rather than my usual 30,000) As I said back in 2012 imho, still cheap insurance. I will admit that the fluids used in modern transmissions is more sophisticated than FLM .

I had the fluid and filter changed in my 08 Adrenalin last year @50000. (4.6 6sp.) It was fairly clean...( I let it go to 50,000 rather than my usual 30,000) As I said back in 2012 imho, still cheap insurance. I will admit that the fluids used in modern transmissions is more sophisticated than FLM .

I believe in cheap insurance as well, which is exactly why at 123,000km I'll be flushing the tranny fluid.

Also, just as confirmation - I have the 6R80 Tranny, yes?

The 2010 is the 6r80

Back