• Register Today It's free!

New PCV Valve doesn't fit.

98splorer

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
After lying across the engine of my 98 EB 5.0 for about an hour and scratching the hell out of my arm on the wire harness bracket above, I finally got the PCV valve out to replace it after looking at the pictures in the thread on PCV valve and Seafoam treatment. It was totally gunked up. It had never been replaced before. I swapped it with a Fram FV294 from RockAuto. It won't go back in. I checked the hole with my finger and the grommet is there and the hole is unobstructed. The new PCV valve will seat on the top of the hole but I can't push it in. I ordered a Motorcraft EV152 in case there is a problem with the cross referenced part. Has anyone ever had this happen? Am I missing something?

Just as an aside, I bought the truck new in 1998. I like to keep vehicles until they beg to be put to sleep. In the last 6 months I've done the front wheel hubs, spark plugs/wires, ignition coil packs (2), fuel filter, IAC replacement, MAF cleaning, throttle body cleaning, decarbonized the upper intake manifold, Fuel injection cleaning via the fuel rail, compression testing, fuel pressure testing, replaced Bank 1 Sensor 1 and Bank 2 Sensor 1 oxygen sensors, brakes and rotors all around, and AC recharge. EGR and DPFE are in a box waiting to go in. This truck has become my Home Depot errand vehicle and classroom. It runs like new. I've been using this forum and YouTube as my guides. Thanks for all your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most likely the grommet has hardened due to heat over the years and is no longer flexible enough to push the PCV valve through it. You should replace the grommet also. Good luck.

Thanks, I actually ordered one just in case that was the problem. I was wondering if anyone had an issue with the Fram PCV.

Question: How would you remove the grommet? I tried to remove it with my finger but I can't get deep enough. Maybe a stiff wire with a hook made on the end?

Most likely the grommet has hardened due to heat over the years and is no longer flexible enough to push the PCV valve through it. You should replace the grommet also. Good luck.

You were exactly right! It was hard as a rock.
I replaced it today and the new PCV valve went right in.
Thank you

Great. I have never been able to replace mine - I have tried several times over the years and there is no way I can get my big arm and hand down there!! My shop will only do it the "book" way - by removing the intake manifold - for a couple of hundred dollars. If you're ever in Atlanta stop by and I'll let you do mine!! Oh well - only have about 295K miles on it - so maybe it's still good!!

Great. I have never been able to replace mine - I have tried several times over the years and there is no way I can get my big arm and hand down there!! My shop will only do it the "book" way - by removing the intake manifold - for a couple of hundred dollars. If you're ever in Atlanta stop by and I'll let you do mine!! Oh well - only have about 295K miles on it - so maybe it's still good!!

Removing the two 8mm bolts holding the big electrical connector to the fire wall and then separating the two halves of the electrical connector by removing the 10mm bolt holding the connector together made it much easier.

Back