new rack, lines, flush, now low speed shudder | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new rack, lines, flush, now low speed shudder

john tate

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer w/302 AWD
Hi Folks-
Have a steering shudder like others- mine is at very low speeds when turning. It seems to be slightly present when still but is not nearly as bad. This is after a new rack (Cardone rebuilt), new lines, new serpentine belt, and p/s fluid flush (same pump). Steering is tight but I'm sure the toe is off- could this cause the shudder? Adjusted once and it seems to not make any difference.

Some say this is air in the system- how many miles/days should I drive it w/incorrect toe before I investigate something else or does it need a break in? When looking in the reservoir fluid is flowing thru and looks good.

Used Prestone P/S fluid- looks clear and is not the "seal heal" type but says it's good to prevent squeals.

Rack leaked on both ends before but did not shudder at low speeds.

Any ideas??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know you are supposed to use atf not power seering fluid in the 4.0's at least not sure about the 5.0's though

The low speed steering shudder after new rack, lines

Hi Folks-
Have a steering shudder like others, at very low speeds when turning, worse the faster the wheel is turned. Seems to be slightly present when standing still. This is after a new rack (Cardone rebuilt), new lines, new serpentine belt, and p/s fluid flush (same pump).

Some say this is air in the system but how long would it take to come out? Is the rack just tight to begin with? When looking in the reservoir fluid is flowing thru and looks good.

Used Prestone P/S fluid- looks clear and is not the "seal healing" type but says it's good to prevent squeals.

Rack leaked on both ends before but did not shudder at low speeds.

Any ideas of what to check out?

When I bought my 99 5.0 (new) it had this problem. The service manager replaced it twice and it still did it. He worked with Ford tech pretty closely, but they did not solve it.

On a whim, I replaced the standard ATF with Mobil1 synthetic. It fixed the problem. It would still do it just a wee bit if the power steering was very hot.

I think ATF is the fluid spec, so try Mobil1 and see if it helps. Otherwise, I think you may need to exchange it and try another unit.

Thanks for the help folks- I read all the directions....except for the fluid- flushed it again and refilled with Mercon V- so far so good and shuddering seems to be gone, though it seemed to get better even with the incorrect fluid.

I hope it doesn't mean another rack as that was not a fun job (at least when following the shop manual).

This is a great forum.

Back