new tire slowly losing air....what can I do? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new tire slowly losing air....what can I do?

Okay, my back left tire has had air added twice since I bought my 20's. I have the Goodyear Eagle 275-45-20 tires and the last two times I checked the pressure, it was right at 25 psi, where I had to inflate it to 35-40 psi already twice. The other tires don't lose air, only this one. Is there anything I can do to fix it? I have a 5th wheel with tire that I might just throw on there in its place for now, but I'd like to get the other one fixed.

Thanks for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the tires are still new, you may be able to take it back and get a new one. If not, you need to find the leak quickly so you don't ruin the tire. How long does it take to lose air?

it is a somewhat slow leak, seems like it takes maybe a week or two before I notice that its low. I guess I should take it to a tire shop to get it checked out???

I just wrote an email to tirerack.com (the place of purchase) Hopefully they will replace it or fix it, because I shouldn't be stuck with a defective tire :mad:

You could try to find the leak yourself to save a couple of bucks. Just take the wheel off your truck, fill a spray bottle with a little soap and water, and spray around the tire until you notice bubbles. Start off by checking the inside and outside beads, then check around the valve stem (under the cap too). If it's not in one of those places, slowly check the tread to find the leak.

If it's the valve stem, have a new one installed. If it's at the bead, have the tire removed and make sure the mating surfaces are completely clean. If it's in the tread, make sure they take the tire off the wheel and use an actual patch installed from the inside and not just a plug put in from the outside. Also, make sure wherever you go has a tire machine that will not scratch your wheels.

Also check for the potential hidden nail. Some of those nails are tiny and hard to find. Just a suggestion.

Originally posted by yob_yeknom
Also, make sure wherever you go has a tire machine that will not scratch your wheels.

funny you say that, because it has already happened once to me at Kaufmann Tire, I was pretty pissed when they scratched one of my new 20's

Back