new to forum | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

canadianford

Reaction score
City, State
london ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer xl
if this has been asked before I apologise but I just rescued a 1997 ford explorer xl and when I got it home I found out it has no hi/low beam lights just running and park lights I looked and all bulbs are good and fuses in passenger compartment and under the hood are all good tried replacing the multi switch and all that did was cut out wipers intermittently looked for a lamp out module in the center console and could not find one just wondering if there was one or is it just the multi switch

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum fellow Ontario resident. :)

The 97 XL just uses the switch to turn on the head lights. The switch may be bad, it happens. There is no lamp out module in an XL.
If day time running lights work, that means the high beam should work. Turn on the headlight (Light switch all the way right) and flip the multifunction switch back. That should give you high beams.

lighting

Nothing happens when i turn on lights dont even have highbeam lit on dash. Was thinking if both switches were bad or if there might be a broken wire on column possible?

lighting

Have a 1997 dash in my 1987 ford f350 would switches be the same. Was thinking i could swap out for the day to try both headlight and multi as i k ow mine are good

The switches should be the same.. try just the light switch first, not the Multifunction switch.

So after a couple of frustrating hours i went and bought the haynes manual and traced wiring to find out that the power wire from relay to light switch was broken. So ran a new one and now everything back to normal.

Back