New to me 2002 Explorer XLT 4x4, can someone explain what mode is what on 4x4? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to me 2002 Explorer XLT 4x4, can someone explain what mode is what on 4x4?

kdoggy

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4x4
What I'm asking is what mode should I be using for what. This is my first SUV, I'm coming over from a Mitsubishi Eclipse AWD Turbo that was pushing almost 500hp. It really likes icy snow cover roads too if you kept out of the boost! ;D

I'm going to use my wives 03 Trailblazer for example. Her 4x4 controls say 2DR A4WD, 4Hi and 4Lo.

Now in the winter when the roads are bad she just keeps it in All-Wheel drive. I know what AWD does given I had a AWD Eclipse and I know all four tires being powered on ice is a good thing.

Anyway, looking at mine, I have 4x4 Auto, Hi and Lo. What does each one do? I'm curious to know what 4x4 Auto is exactly since I don't see a 2DR selection.

Also can you drive down the road/highway in either of the Hi or Lo gears?

I guess what I'm asking is can someone please give me an overall explanation of what each is for and an example of when I would want to use them and what is safe for what. Don't want to trash the trans or transfer case etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4 Auto, means you are 2wd until the X detects slippage from the rear and it will automatically engage the front to give you 4x4 high.

4x4 high keeps it engaged all the time, great for snow but don't use it on a dry road.

4x4 low gives a 2 1/2 reduction in gear ratio good for boggy, deep snow, sand or steep hills but again don't use on a dry road.

Pretty much the same rules as the blazer by the look's.

Ah so the Auto is just like the A4WD on wifys Trailblazer.

Is there an option to just have it be 2WD? I only see the three options?

Oh hey that's cool. Doesn't hurt anything by not letting it go into 4x4 when it wants to? Like added stress on the transmission or something?

Might have to look into that.

Nah, by all account's everything is groovy.

My understanding is that you do the brown wire mod, you can't put the x in 4x4 auto, 4x4hi,and 4x4lo when needed. Is this correct?

Well that would defeat the purpose of the mod. You could CUT the brown wire but that would disable everything I assume until reconnected.

The way I understand this is that the reason for doing this is, basically the switch now completes the connection.

Flip it one way, you disable the brown wire, flip it the other way its like you never cut it. When you want your 4x4 back, flip it and it's like you never did the mod.

Correct?

Well that would defeat the purpose of the mod. You could CUT the brown wire but that would disable everything I assume until reconnected.

The way I understand this is that the reason for doing this is, basically the switch now completes the connection.

Flip it one way, you disable the brown wire, flip it the other way its like you never cut it. When you want your 4x4 back, flip it and it's like you never did the mod.

Correct?

Correct;)

Ok, sorry did not understand the full brown wire mod.

Correct?

Interesting, thanks for explaining that. This may be something I look into doing.

Back