• Register Today It's free!

New to owning a ford

Benzcameron

Reaction score
City, State
Echuca Victoria
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT explorer
So have had my 97 XLT in the garage for over three years. The battery is new and constantly charged showing its full. However when it was still running I'd start it up and it would start then quickly slow the revs till it no longer ran. I've brought a throttle position sensor was recommended. But it won't even fire up now so I'm thinking it's a spark plug issue to which spark plug to buy yes motorcraft but as I've never replaced them which actual spark plug is specifically for my SUV. Any help is much appreciated thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're not giving us much to work with, here. First of all, which engine do you have? Besides replacing the TPS. what is the maintenance history? Without more info, it sounds more like a fuel issue to me.

Sounds like fuel to me. Spark plugs don’t just go bad after sitting for a few years.

Fuel? Definitely does.

@Benzcameron

Welcome to the forum!

Say bro, your post is kinda' short on facts & background - but I'll try and help you out :)

OK - first; OHV or SOHC V-6 Engine?

When did the Ex last run?

NOTE regarding TPS replacement:
Just sayin' - the IAC Valve (Idle Air Control) controls Idle Speed & the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) works in concert with it.

Spitballin' - I'll default to suggesting that you check the fuel shutoff switch, located at the top of the carpet line, in the passenger side of the cabin.

This switch keeps coming up in recent posts as a likely culprit, and it's easy to rule out before you start throwing parts at the problem ;)

0.42 of this attached video : Link -

HTH -

FuelShutOffSwitch.jpeg

You say that it starts up and slowly dies? Sounds like fuel pump problems. Check fuel pressure at the rail.

You say that it starts up and slowly dies? Sounds like fuel pump problems. Check fuel pressure at the rail.

Missed that @rasouth :)

I bet that beer can size fuel filter on his Ex is covered in British Columbia rust from road salt, indicating it's probably never been changed in 20 plus years and probably plugged solid with gas station tank and fuel tank debris - and maybe even jelled gasoline ;)

Guess I was wrapping my head around the "new to owing a ford" subject title when also reading into the post stating "So have had my 97 XLT in the garage for over three years"

The way the post was written, I'd still suggest, if the poster ever comes back, try the fuel shut off switch as well as it's free...

I have been working on Fords for several decades, and I never recommend replacing parts (particularly sensors) on a hunch or hearsay. They all have a simple test protocol that the DIYer can perform with a cheap multimeter.
Often, as mentioned repeatedly above, neglected regular maintenance items are the culprit, and even if they are not, servicing them means the items are maintained, and can be checked off the diagnosis, helping to narrow down the actual problem.
The rubbish they pass off as fuel nowadays does immense harm to a vehicle, especially one that is in storage.
Fuel system suffers greatly, specifically the pump, tank, and filters.
So replace the filter at regular intervals. Test the pump with a fuel pressure gauge. Spark plugs, you can pull them out and inspect them, but you have to check them all, as most of these vehicles use a waste spark system system, which puts a lot of wear on the plugs. There are very difficult to remove and replace, and if neglected can be catastrophic if they seize. Use Motorcraft, probably SP500 but I'm just going on Memory.
No need for guesswork.

I’d recommend a fuel issue.
So have had my 97 XLT in the garage for over three years. The battery is new and constantly charged showing its full. However when it was still running I'd start it up and it would start then quickly slow the revs till it no longer ran. I've brought a throttle position sensor was recommended. But it won't even fire up now so I'm thinking it's a spark plug issue to which spark plug to buy yes motorcraft but as I've never replaced them which actual spark plug is specifically for my SUV. Any help is much appreciated thanks.
I’d recommend it being a fuel issue. Run some lucas injector cleaner and hold the rpms for a few minutes, burn off that old bad gas. It has to come out some how. If it still isn’t running after that consider fuel pump, filter or injector replacement.

I’d go a step further.

First? Verify fuel pump operation. I’d also clean the IAC and MAF (it’s good maintenance regardless).

Siphon as much gas from the tank as possible. Then fill it with as much fresh gas as you can get in cans, to dilute the old nasty stuff. Replace the fuel filter. I’m normally not an additives guy, but adding a heavy dose of fuel system cleaner may help.

E10 gas just doesn’t last. After a few years it goes BAD. I bet it smells like varnish at this point.

...Siphon as much gas from the tank as possible. Then fill it with as much fresh gas as you can get in cans, to dilute the old nasty stuff. Replace the fuel filter. I’m normally not an additives guy, but adding a heavy dose of fuel system cleaner may help....

^This. There's likely a coating of green varnish on every surface that was in contact with the old gas. The liquid siphoned out won't even resemble what was pumped in; now toxic waste. Be sure not to get any on your skin.

Back