New to site 94 explorer 28,000 miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to site 94 explorer 28,000 miles

cook048

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer XLT
Hello everyone. I am new to the site and have a new car. An older gentleman was getting rid of his explorer and moving south so i purchased it. The car is a 1994 Explorer XLT with 28,000 original miles with no rust. As far as i can tell, from doing some research it seems pretty insane to have such low miles. I have read a couple threads and you guys are total Explorer experts so i thought i would join and see what people thought. I think i am going to keep it, for now.

Matthew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely keep it!!! I've got over 390,000 miles on my 94, and it's still running strong! Welcome to the forum!

Welcome. My wife & I thought we were doing good when we found our 99 Sport with only 81K.

Hello everyone. I am new to the site and have a new car. An older gentleman was getting rid of his explorer and moving south so i purchased it. The car is a 1994 Explorer XLT with 28,000 original miles with no rust.

Welcome

First of all, 28,000 mi and no rust, IN CONNECTICUT?!?! You are fortunate.

Be careful, the rocker panel area can hide rust underneath the trim panels, check it just in case. The lower trim piece is held on by plastic push pins.

If you have any questions etc. there are dedicated 1st gen forums here. Also, the 4.0 Ford Ranger shares many of the same parts/drivelines, etc. with the 1st gen, so that forum can be helpful also.

Nice!

lets see a pic of this beauty ?

Explorer

5202584024.html

Please dont hate me for having it listed. Im just testing the waters. Im trying to go sailing next July, so i need to build up my Kitty.

Matthew

No offense, but even in perfect condition with low miles, you won't see but maybe half that amount if you sell it. It is, after all, 21 years old. Nice looking explorer, though!

Mayjan, thank you. Fortunately there are some people proving you wrong ;)

Thats a very nice 1st gen Explorer!!! Almost impossible to find them with low miles!! Don't worry about what others say about how much you can get out of it "right now" or what you paid for it. My grandpaw always told me "what is it worth to you" The car has already 100% depreciated in value years ago, only way now is appreciated in value as the years go on. I don't care what they say about 1st gen Ex or 2nd gen Ex never being worth anything because they produced so many. Look at how many ford bronco's & jeep grand wagoneers/wranglers they produced and they're bring money now. Kids that grew up with the 1st & 2nd gens as myself will look back in our older years and will reminisce and seek these older explorer's. The 91-01 ford explorer is an suv american icon that defined the suv market in the 90's. No other mid size suv manufacturer could compare to the explorer (other than jeeps maybe) 1st & 2nd gens will be the most desirable. I think the most collectible 1st gen would be a Explorer sport Eddie Bauer cause I can count on one hand how many I've seen in my 26 years of life..
I recently bought a '97 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 with 35,500 original miles 3 months ago. Again congrats on a great find!! I'm sure your ol Ex will be turning some heads!! By the way, I would keep it, If I ever come across a '93 or '94 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 in that condition with low original miles I will be snatching it up quick and have it beside my '97 Explorer Eddie Bauer ;)

Thanks a lot J, very nice response. I def agree with your grandfather. Congrats on finding your own survivor with such low miles! I am also 26, and that is why i couldnt bring myself to let someone else buy it, as i grew up with my mom owning Explorers. This one was a time capsule, and brought me right back to those days.

Matthew

I'm glad you've had interest in it at that price! And I wasn't trying to be a wet blanket, just don't ever see them selling for what they are worth to the seller. I myself wouldn't sell mine for less than $5000, because it's worth at least that to me! And that's with almost 400,000 miles on the clock! I saved mine when it was on the way to the scrap yard for a bad tranny and AC system 12 years ago, and I didn't pay a dime for it! If I were you though, I would DEFINITELY keep it!

Thanks a lot J, very nice response. I def agree with your grandfather. Congrats on finding your own survivor with such low miles! I am also 26, and that is why i couldnt bring myself to let someone else buy it, as i grew up with my mom owning Explorers. This one was a time capsule, and brought me right back to those days.

Matthew

Y/W man, be proud of your ol Ex!!
My deceased grandma/grandpa had a '93 Explorer Eddie Bauer they bought new; had lots of memories in that thing! My uncle had a '92 Explorer Eddie Bauer then he gave it to his daughter (my cousin) when she was 16 and my brother had a '00 Explorer Eddie Bauer that was only 2yr old at the time; he rolled it and my grandpa gave him the '93 as a replacement. All of them cars are long gone now. Only Explorers left in the family are my 02 Explorer XLT & my '97 Explorer Eddie Bauer. Not to wild about my 02; its ok i like it. IMO the 3rd gens are POS. I've done lots of repairs on my 3rd gen. LOVE my new '97!! Got extremely lucky when I found it (like showroom condition); it also belonged to an old man.

Maybe for the national debt ($18 trillion??) I would sell mine.

Your push bar/grill guard looks identical to what I have, except I have aux lights mounted on it.

Back