New to the Explorer Family.....Need advise on upgrades . | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to the Explorer Family.....Need advise on upgrades .

porschetech

Reaction score
City, State
Great Falls. Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
Hey Hey. So I have been a ford guy basically since I could drive. That said, I finally purchased my first Explorer to play around with. As I was a mechanic for a long time, I cant help but mess with it. Nothing over the the top, but im really wanting a modest lift and a set of steel wheel with larger tires. As I know very little about what works on these, Im hoping this forum can be a good source of info to do it the proper way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No shortage of info here. Here’s a place to start.

Typically the wheel bearing and rear ends on these aren’t super stout. As tire size and weigh increases expect to have to service these items more often. Probably want to add a very large transmission cooler as well.

No shortage of info here. Here’s a place to start.

[/URL]
Typically the wheel bearing and rear ends on these aren’t super stout. As tire size and weigh increases expect to have to service these items more often. Probably want to add a very large transmission cooler as well.
Solid info. Yeah I was concerned about exposing the weak links in the system. This is my first modified 4x4 so im trying to proceed with caution. Getting a really deep lookover done to figure out what's in need of replacement as it is.

Which motor do you have? Mileage?

Which motor do you have? Mileage?
I have the 4.0l 6cyl and right now its sitting at 68k miles. Got the left front hub replaced yesterday as the bearing was noisey.

Pretty low mileage. You’ll probably want to look into getting a preoiler to hedge off the SOHC cam tensioner issues. No shortage of info (and hate) on that issue as well. With that low of mileage, if it’s not rattling on start up can probably be pushed off for quite some time with a preoiler.

Pretty low mileage. You’ll probably want to look into getting a preoiler to hedge off the SOHC cam tensioner issues. No shortage of info (and hate) on that issue as well. With that low of mileage, if it’s not rattling on start up can probably be pushed off for quite some time with a preoiler.
Any suggestions on where to to get the setup? HOw difficult are they to install?

I’m not sure of a solid vendor. They are not the easiest kitbto install, but they are light years better than killing that motor. If you just replace them before the grenade the motor needs to fully come out.

Since you were a mechanic for years, I’m sure you will have no real issues.

Back