New to the forum, I have a 2007 Explorer Sport Trac and I am wondering if the leather seats from a 2006-2010 Explorer SUV would fit on my truck. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to the forum, I have a 2007 Explorer Sport Trac and I am wondering if the leather seats from a 2006-2010 Explorer SUV would fit on my truck.

Red2007

Reaction score
City, State
Palm Bay, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
I have a 2007 Sport Trac and It has cloth seats. It is hard to find leather seats for it unless I pay 1.6K for katzkin, but I was able to find some for a 2006-2010 Explorer and since the exterior and interior looks the same I was wondering if the seats will be exact fit and I can just buy those and install them on my truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to EF!!!! afaik the X interior should swap over, the only thing would be wiring for stuff like power seats cooled heated etc. perhaps a 4G owner can confirm!

I meant putting on leather on the existing seats if they are an exact fit.

I wouldn't be swaping the whole seat assembly, so there would not be any wiring involved. My Sport Trac already has power seat at least for the driver.

I meant putting on leather on the existing seats if they are an exact fit.

I wouldn't be swaping the whole seat assembly, so there would not be any wiring involved. My Sport Trac already has power seat at least for the driver.
so you mean to "deskin" a JY seat and transfer the leather over to your current? if so iirc the seats were identical, as long as they were the same style iirc. not sure how one would go about that though.

I have done it before on my 2015 Mustang. I bought the leather seat covers from ebay. They had been taken out of a brand new 2020 Mustang at the time. They still had the leather smell in them.

I have done it before on my 2015 Mustang. I bought the leather seat covers from ebay. They had been taken out of a brand new 2020 Mustang at the time. They still had the leather smell in them.
so you want seat covers? sorry im a bit confused. or just the factory seat skin? how do ya remove em without cutting?

You don't cut them. They have some plastic pieces that attach to the seat frame and also inside there are some metal rings that need to be open to free the leather. The covers also have belcro lines so that the covers have those lines of the design. It is fairly simple to take them out, but is time cosuming that is all.

You don't cut them. They have some plastic pieces that attach to the seat frame and also inside there are some metal rings that need to be open to free the leather. The covers also have belcro lines so that the covers have those lines of the design. It is fairly simple to take them out, but is time cosuming that is all.
huh thats interesting! never noticed that at my local JYs, gonna have to look next time. afaik they are the same seats assuming they are the same style, but i would like someone else to confirm. my dad used to have a 4th gen as a company vehicle, so i remember seeing that and a trac at the office and they looked/felt the same to me, but its been a few years. gonna need confirmation on this one ;)

I have a 2007 Sport Trac and It has cloth seats. It is hard to find leather seats for it unless I pay 1.6K for katzkin, but I was able to find some for a 2006-2010 Explorer and since the exterior and interior looks the same I was wondering if the seats will be exact fit and I can just buy those and install them on my truck.
I swapped a black leather Mountaineer interior into my trac. The skins are going to be difficult to swap due to the pig rings used to attach the skins to the foam. I broke the seats down starting with the bottom cushions they just come right off. I then broke down the seat frames keeping the seat backs intact and just swaping them out with my old ones. I just swapped the 2nd row bench, the problem here is that the bench is different, you will have to cut a hole in the seat back so it locks in the back and you need the mechanism as well. The bench will function differently but it wasn’t a factor for me. This is the cheapest way to do it if your a good DIYer.

Well I took the risk so for anyone who would like to do it, the answer is YES the Ford explorer 2006-2008 SUV leather seats fit on the Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2007- 2010. I paid about $400 for the whole set of brand new leather seats and put them on myself.

There is no need to break the rings. You only need to used wire cutters and they come right off without effort. When you put on the new skin you add the hog rings to attach it.
20220703_210440.jpg
20220703_210409.jpg

Back