• Register Today It's free!

new to this...

2010 STA

Reaction score
City, State
acton,on
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 sta
Can the AWD be turned off on the 2010 STA..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In all my research before buying the 07 I stumbled across one thread where a guy said he figured it out but I dont believe he ever spilled the beans, it would be a nice option to have. I also cant recall what forum it was on, lol, not much help eh!

Its worth the drive to Acton:D:p:

Cheers from Forest Ont. , Todd

I have yet to crawl under my STA, but if it is anything like the transfer case on the older 95-01 V8 explorers, it is a fully mechanical system - no electronics what so ever.

I don't think so. Best you can do is turn off the traction control I think.

Research the " BROWN WIRE MOD" here as it may be applicable to your '10 also. IDK...:(

If I understand the default AWD, it's 100% RWD unless there's rear wheel slippage, at which point some power is automatically transferred to the fronts. If I'm correct in this understanding, may I ask what is the point of disabling?

i may be wrong but I'm pretty sure AWD is AWD all the time, same as the auto 4x4, that's why the gas mileage is so poor on them

Mine's an '07 LTD 4X4 with the 4.6. Perhaps I'm unclear on the AWD terminology. What I was referring to is my truck's default AWD automatic mode.

Am I misunderstanding or are we discussing another ST's configuation?

Thanks for all the replies ... i ll keep looking for the answer.

This:

If I understand the default AWD, it's 100% RWD unless there's rear wheel slippage, at which point some power is automatically transferred to the fronts. If I'm correct in this understanding, may I ask what is the point of disabling?

The extra weight and some frictional losses cost some mpg but Gen 2 Tracs are not AWD in the true sense of the word. The front axle only receives power when the computer detects slippage in the rear. AWD cars like Audis run a 30/70 front/rear torque split. A 50/50 split results in the front tires spinning under acceleration because of weight transfer to the rear.

Tommy Ivo can tell you about it.

BB-Ivo-4-engine-3.jpg

Back