New Zealand 2009 Ford Ranger 3L desiel turbo 4WD light stays on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Zealand 2009 Ford Ranger 3L desiel turbo 4WD light stays on

Don 42

Reaction score
City, State
Christchurch New Zealand
2009 Ford Ranger 3.0 litre desiel turbo, 220 000 km
supposedly same as Mazda B series

Hi Folks

Curly one for you.
You folks might not have the same but maybe you've seen or know of a fix for a similar era ford.

4WD and LO light's stay on, Speedo stays in 'lo ratio' Trans shifts later like when lo selected, otherwise all fine.

I've been suggesting a toggle switch on the dash. It currently has a 3 position rotary switch 2WD, 4WD and 4WD LO. My concern is smoking the computer and is there anything I need to watch for.

I've been reading here and see some earlier fords have had sticky trans status switches so wondered if this was also a possibilty.
Local dealershipo has suggested a new trans computer US$1100.

Thanks

Regards

Don
New Zealand

I don't know if your transfer case has the position sensor (switch) like mine does but it is something you should take a look at. Look for any electrical wiring that goes to the transfer case. If it goes to a switch type device that screws out, that is probably the position sensor. I had a problem with mine and replaced it. That fixed my problem. Sure was a lot less expensive than replacing a computer.

The one on my truck looks very similar to the reverse light switch that is in the transmission. Both of mine are on the left side (I guess that is the passenger side in NZ) of the transmission/transfer case.

Back