next on 4DR SOHC list O2 sensors - How did you get to connectors and sensors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

next on 4DR SOHC list O2 sensors - How did you get to connectors and sensors

sehaare

Reaction score
City, State
Chicagoland, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98XLT 4WD SOHC,94XLT gone
98 xlt 4DR 4WD SOHC. Next on the list is the O2 sensors. I been hitting them with Kroil for about a week now while I worked on other items. Just to see if it was having the desired affect I tried the front Driver side one and it broke free easily (not bad for 148K miles on original sensors). Now that I'm ready to actually get them replaced I was wondering how you guys got to them before.

Anyone remember which way you went after each one and its connectors?

Drivers side front - easy to get onto sensor but connector is way up there - looks like you have to go through wheel well ?

Passenger side front - couldn't get a wrench onto the O2 socket from beneath wondering if I have to go in through the wheel well on this one to get to sensor? Haven't looked for connector yet.

Both rear sensors - looks like I have to take the tranny skid plate off to get to the sensors and I believe that I get to the connectors through the access panel under the center console in the car.

Did anyone get to them another easier way?

As Always Thanks In Advance For Any Help that you can give me.

Steve

I went out and got some long 3/8 wrenches/breaker bars from harbor freight to allow me to get better angles on the O2 sockets. I've got two different sockets. The one from Snap On is smaller to fit into tighter spaces and is reinforced in the center so I don't think that it will spread. But it also just takes a 3/8 wrench. The Lisle one, take up more space since it is bigger to not need to be reinforced in the middle but it takes both a 3/8 wrench from the bottom/top and has an opening for a 1/2 breaker bar on the end.

I've been spending way too much time lying on my back under the XLT so I took a brake last night. Hopefully someone who has done it before will post who they got access to each sensor/connection but if not I'll figure it out and post how I did it after I finish.

Steve

I did the pass side front through the wheel well. I took off the wheel & removed the splash shield, unscrewed the back 1/2 of the plastic inner fender panel & bent it towards the front & that made it very easy to access the sensor & made it easier to get at the wiring connector. Here is a link to the wrench I used to replace the O2 sensor. http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-03048A-...d=1443516707&sr=1-2&keywords=o2+sensor+wrench

I did the pass side front through the wheel well. I took off the wheel & removed the splash shield, unscrewed the back 1/2 of the plastic inner fender panel & bent it towards the front & that made it very easy to access the sensor & made it easier to get at the wiring connector. Here is a link to the wrench I used to replace the O2 sensor. http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-03048A-...d=1443516707&sr=1-2&keywords=o2+sensor+wrench

Thanks, I had the car up on ramps while I was under it so I couldn't take the wheel off but it looked like this was going to be the way to get to it. Glad that you confirmed it before I took it all apart and it didn't work.

I think I need to do the same thing on the drivers side to get to the electrical connector as well.

Back