O2 sensor killer 2000 302

kblackav8or

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Mountaineer Monterey
Guys,
So far I have dealt with this driveability issue that will seem to be fixed and then come back a few months later. This is a 2000 Mounty 5.0 AWD. Throwing codes P0155 and P1151. This is for one of the forward O2 sensors but which one? I recently replaced the one on the drivers side about a year ago or so. Which bank is P0155 on a 2000 5.0?
A few weeks ago it threw the O2 sensor code AND something about the ECT sensor so I replaced the sensor that is to the left of the coil pack (2 wires). I guess if the ECT is bad, will that kill O2's?
Lastly - How in the heck do you get to the plug for that passenger side sensor? It is on top of the transmission near as I can tell.
Summary questions:
1. P0155 O2 sensor - which bank and sensor is that?
2. For the passenger side sensor, how do you get to the connector plug to change it out?
3. Will a failed ECT kill your O2 sensors?
Thanks,
Kevin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1- bank 1 is passenger side-bank 2 is driver side
P-0155 is O2 sensor circuit shorted to ground, open or shorted to V-pwr circuit

--look your sensor wiring over real good-I'll bet you have one resting or bumping into an exhaust pipe-or maybe a connector pin inside the plug itself is pushed back--this is not uncommon

2-remove the center console and access panel below it(you'll need to roll the carpet back a bit)

3-no-you have a wiring problem, not a sensor problem

I was able to reach the connector on my transmission for the passenger side, without removing the console and cover. I was able to reach up there and disconnect it- scratched my arms a bit, but I was able to do it. I used long needle nose pliers to push the connector back together. All in all, it probably would have been easier to remove the console, but I was too deep in it by the time I realized it. Plus, my console has an amazing amount of wiring tucked in and under it, so it would have been a chore to take it out.

Jtsmith is right- you have some wires grounding out or not connecting somewhere, not a sensor problem.

Failed yet again

I changed out the passenger side sensor and it ran a bunch better for about 3 days. Now it is back, same code. Runs terrible. What is the strategy to follow to track this down? Where to start? I don't that I can afford to take this to a shop to get fixed. BTW taking out the center console without a manual is a big big pain when it doesn't want to cooperate. I would use more colorful discriptions but this is a family show.
Kevin

I changed out the passenger side sensor and it ran a bunch better for about 3 days. Now it is back, same code. Runs terrible. What is the strategy to follow to track this down? Where to start? I don't that I can afford to take this to a shop to get fixed. BTW taking out the center console without a manual is a big big pain when it doesn't want to cooperate. I would use more colorful discriptions but this is a family show.
Kevin
po151
Heated O2 sensor produced a negative voltage--

po155
O2 sensor shorted, or lack of power

niether say which one (sensor). Try to stay away from the parts store for a minute and bear with us--
OK
it could be an "open "circuit also--

it isn't uncommon to have a pin in the sensor connector "push back" and fail to make a good contact, even when the connector itself is snapped together well. You might check all of them real good--
I know I'm a sum muvva ditch right now

also

you might check the main PCM connector at the firewall, and the smaller square connector right above the intake manifold-
remove the bolt, disconnect the connector(s) , and spray them with an electrical contact cleaner--(wd40 is a great cleaner) then blow off with air
and re connect DON"T TOUCH THE PINS!!! the alignment of them is critical, and they are easily bent.

Are you absolutely sure you checked all of the O2 sensors wiring for chaffing?

BTW
these are just quick tips for eliminating the problem-a www.scantool.net would be a great help right now.

it would identify which sensor is "cutting out" , or, if the whole circuit is--it shows live data while you run the engine-or drive around--

I already had the sensor when I went under the console. If I was going to tear into that mess, it was getting changed. While there I took a look at things and everything on top of the transmission seemed OK. I have the HELM electrical manual for this thing and a scanner widget for my laptop. I am going to start at the top tomorrow and go through it to whatever conections I can get to.

I was able to access the passenger's side O2 sensor connector by removing the front wheel and pulling the splash guard back alittle.

Took it too a good shop. Wiring is all good. Bad O2, the side I didn't change. Apparently Bosch sensors aren't what they used to be. They recommended the denso sensors or OE. They did verify all the wiring to be good with no faults.

Took it too a good shop. Wiring is all good. Bad O2, the side I didn't change. Apparently Bosch sensors aren't what they used to be. They recommended the denso sensors or OE. They did verify all the wiring to be good with no faults.

That's interesting, the OE sensors are made by Bosch.........

Back