Nitrous.....Who has it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nitrous.....Who has it?

Anyone here have the cajones to put Nitrous in their Explorer?

OHV, SOHC, V8....doesn't matter.

You don't have to reply HERE in the thread, just send me an PM....I'd like to discuss a few things with those people that have done it.....

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BoominXplorer(sp?) had it on his Mountaineer.

I don't, yet, but I plan to install a Nitrous Express wet system 50 shot before August, and get it dyno'd and have my tunes adjusted properly before steppin up to a 75 shot. I can give you info after it's done if you'd like.

I've actually been considering it. I'd like to do a rebuild on the engine sometime in the next couple years, and adding a few performance goodies would be nice. I wouldn't use it much since it's a trail rig but a small shot MAY be helpful in some situations :D

If money allows i'd like to do something like those guys over on 8secsplash have done and use 96+ heads on my 93, and do some some porting. A good cam would be nice too.......off topic sorry. I know that Alec did at one point, THINK he had an sohc.

Well I've been talking to people that HAVE done it....and getting some ideas from them...

Thanks,
Ryan

I had it on my turbo Bravada for a little while, but took it off because there is nowhere around here to fill it, and I was worried about killing my bottom end. I was using a 75-125hp Nitrous Express variable wet kit for a Mustang (70mm throttle body plate). It made a pretty big increase in power, because I didn't have an intercooler- I went from a really hot intake temp to really cold.

I have a NX/FJO electronic progressive controlled 100 wetshot on my 2005 LS that I installed. I know a thing or ten about nitrous, superchargers, turbochargers and overall performance. PM me if you have any specific questions you need answered.

Anyone on here spraying on there SOHC....with stock internals? any problems? and what jet of spray are u using...id like to use nitrous at the track!

All my parts are arriving, I'll be installing on the 21st. I got a Nitrous Express Ford EFI kit, automatic bottle heater kit from Cold Fusion, a MSD Digital RPM Window Switch, and a dual purge kit from Cold Fusion. I'm going to run a 75shot at the track only (not on the street). I will be taking tons of pics during the install and hope to have a some low 14sec runs.

au01st said:
All my parts are arriving, I'll be installing on the 21st. I got a Nitrous Express Ford EFI kit, automatic bottle heater kit from Cold Fusion, a MSD Digital RPM Window Switch, and a dual purge kit from Cold Fusion. I'm going to run a 75shot at the track only (not on the street). I will be taking tons of pics during the install and hope to have a some low 14sec runs.

What times are you running right now?

Nevermind. Seen your other post. 15.5 and then adding those mods and then running a 75 shot of nitrous should get you mid 14's in the 1/4.

Anymore updates on the nitrous some of you guys were planning to install? Hope it works out well for you.

Goes in on Friday, headed to the track Friday night.

NX.jpg

badass kit man! i want to run a 75hp shot on my 4.0ohv soo i can atleast do a 16 sec 1/4 mile run, but my al4d will probably poop out after 5 shots

just curious, but what would a safe nitrous shot for a stock 4.0ohv and a stock al4d auto tranny be? what would the safe nitrous shot be for a stock 4.0ohv and a stock 5spd manual?

you guys runnin the laughing gas should look into a tune first...im sure rocket knows what im sayin.

n3m3s1s said:
you guys runnin the laughing gas should look into a tune first...im sure rocket knows what im sayin.

Yep. If the trucks aren't getting tuned for the nitrous then big kabooms happen. How you tune it all depends on what type of nitrous kit you have.

Which is exactly why I'm having my tuner install it and tune it, and it will only be run at the track. I leave for ATL in about 7 hours...

spdrcer, you giving me expensive ideas.

For those who were interested in running nitrous on a first gen. On an OHV, you might actually want to look towards a set up simular to what i got. Its a relativly easy setup to go for, and yeilds ~300 hp with nitrous. From what i understand, anything more the that on an OHV you are simply asking for trouble.

nitrous loves the higher compression. ranger power sports is where you would want to start researching.

Well, we didn't get finished. Everything is mounted and placed so we know where it's supposed to go, all that needs to happen are the switches need to be wired up in my console and glove box, bottle heater needs switched power wire run to it, I need to cover all the hoses and wires with wire loom, and it needs to be tuned...

I have a question for the experts that ARE running NOS here. What spark plugs did you use? I'm thinking that the Autolite Copper plugs (Part # 103) will do okay if we up the fuel pressure a little more, but if anyone here has a better plug they reccomend, and you own and use nitrous, I'm happy to try it.

Anyways, here's a pic of the engine bay...

NXInstalled.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

au01st said:
Well, we didn't get finished. Everything is mounted and placed so we know where it's supposed to go, all that needs to happen are the switches need to be wired up in my console and glove box, bottle heater needs switched power wire run to it, I need to cover all the hoses and wires with wire loom, and it needs to be tuned...

I have a question for the experts that ARE running NOS here. What spark plugs did you use? I'm thinking that the Autolite Copper plugs (Part # 103) will do okay if we up the fuel pressure a little more, but if anyone here has a better plug they reccomend, and you own and use nitrous, I'm happy to try it.

Anyways, here's a pic of the engine bay...

NXInstalled.jpg

Looking good. Good luck to ya.

Back