nitrous | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

nitrous

I have a few questions about nitrous.
#1 does anyone make a 100 shot kit?
#2 what else would i have to do to handle that much juice?
#3 Is the superchips power programmer a good way to control the computer?is there a better chip?

I have a 2000 eddie baurer 5.0 awd. I have a mac short ram intake.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes 100 shot is made.... but why? it will do more harm then good on an explorer.... epxlorer are great trucks.... but htats it, they are trucks...... if you really want to go fast, you need to be prepared to spend a lot of money and have a lot of knowledge to know what you are doing......

i know that you can get a 100 shot of nos, but what i am looking for is a custom kit, and i want to know if it would take it or not. If not what would i have to do, to make it take a 100 shot. i want to have around 300 ponies on tap. I have a stang, and its fun, but i would like my explorer to be faster than it is.

your 5 liter will handle a 100 shot quite well. get a flip chip burned from either apten or troll and have one setting for the nitrous with timing retard and more fuel. run a plug one heat range colder and premium fuel.

James' advice is good.

The ZEX kit is good for it's ease of installation and it's dry shot setup with wet shot function. They have one specifically for the 5.0 that includes a 100 shot, or one for the V6 that is a max of 75.

As long as you have proper ignition and fuel considerations, 100 on the 5.0 or 65 or maybe 75 on the V6 is ok as long as the motors have been well maintained and are in good running order.

thanks james, how do i get in contact with either apten or troll

just call me since troll does not reply to most messages and email and i am his brother. check out my site for my info if you want. www.speedfreak.cc

One thing you are going to want to take into consideration is that you have a RETURNLESS fuel system. So the vac lines on the Zex kit will not hook up between the FPR and intake because our X's dont have an FPR. What you could do is get the zex 5.0 dry kit and get a carefully burned chip (i only trust blk mk8 to do mine) and make sure when you install you DO NOT RUN the nitrous till you get an A/F dyno test done on it to see if it is lean or rich. Then make sure you have them reprogram the chip accordingly. another big thing to take into account is that since you will have no real way to sense how much fuel to N20 ratio you have you will have to have a guage to you bottle and make sure it reads 1000 psi constantly or somewhere close. Because if it dips below then you will be running richer than the tune is set for. Well that is all i got. Maybe Alec can help ya the rest of the way.

Originally posted by jimabena74
yes 100 shot is made.... but why? it will do more harm then good on an explorer.... epxlorer are great trucks.... but htats it, they are trucks...... if you really want to go fast, you need to be prepared to spend a lot of money and have a lot of knowledge to know what you are doing......

a 100 shot of N20 on even a stock 5.0 is childs play. Heck if you really want an idea of how much the stock parts of the 5.0 canhandle just look at Lowdpypes. He is running 9 lbs boost from his charger and also has a zex 125 shot of nos too.

on a good tune 100shot is just the start. Really, I bet in 99% of blown on engines that are juiced or boosted, a bad tune/detonation was the cause of failure. People just dont know what to listen for. They dont realize on an unusually cold night they may have detonation that wasnt there before.

There are guys that have blown up lightning engines with a 2lb pulley, yet others have run an extra 6psi for years without a problem. Theres also some 500RWHP Cobras that have all stock internals....its all in the tune and knowing what detonation sounds like

thanks rocket, but what does the A/F stand for?

So before i run the nitrous i need to get a custom tuned chip.

Air to Fuel ratio. Yeah before you install the nitrous i would go ahead and get a custom burned chip and tell the programmer what mods you already have and how big a shot of nitrous you planon running. That way the guy can take car of timing retardation @ certain rpm's and also fuel and air ratios too. And then once you get the nirous installed go to a dyno and do a run with it and dyno tune it in from there. Gotta make sure that the place has a wideband O2 detector. Look around for the chip and local dyno tuners. You may be able to get a dealby installing the nitrous yourself and then go to the shop and buy the chip and get the dyno tune done right there. That way it is in one shot. Kind of a package deal. But i do highly reccomend that you DONT run the nitrous till you get a tune done. Just to be safe. I bet you would rather cough up a few 100 bones then a new engine. Besides you can get more power out of it too if done right.

Back