• Register Today It's free!

no 4x4

fishwish3

Reaction score
City, State
northampton,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport 4X4
Ok, so i got a stock 2001 explorer sport 4x4 with fall/cold weather fast approching, i decided to check all my snow equipment, so the first thing i try is my 4x4, and absolutely butkis, no dash lights, no clicking from the axel, no clicking from the servo, nothing, i dont know if its a switch or what, but i did check all the fuses and they are all fine, any ideas? and i would really like to get it fixed before i really need to use it. thanks ahead of time

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, so i got a stock 2001 explorer sport 4x4 with fall/cold weather fast approching, i decided to check all my snow equipment, so the first thing i try is my 4x4, and absolutely butkis, no dash lights, no clicking from the axel, no clicking from the servo, nothing, i dont know if its a switch or what, but i did check all the fuses and they are all fine, any ideas? and i would really like to get it fixed before i really need to use it. thanks ahead of time

Need to know which 4X4 system you have. Do you have the choice of 4X4 AUTO, 4X4 HIGH, and 4X4 LOW? If so, try accelerating on a soft surface hard enough in 4X4 HIGH, with someone outside watching if front wheels spin. If they do, electronic clutch is operating properly. In 4X4 LOW, transfer case shift motor must shift to low gear, close contacts to illuminate "4X4 LOW" light on dash. If 4X4 HIGH works in test above, shift motor is not operating to bring about LOW, but we don't know why the dash light is not turning on, yet. The electronic clutch is turned "on" all the time in HIGH and LOW ranges. imp

i have the on-the-fly system with 2wd 4x4 high and 4x4 low, and when i was in 4 high, only rears were spinning

update: i just swapped a known good 4x4 selector switch and still same problem, any ideas?

update: i just swapped a known good 4x4 selector switch and still same problem, any ideas?

Transfer case shift motor not working. Find reason. Check for 12 volts available at the motor when someone pushes 4X4 LOW button on. 0-volts before, 12 after; if voltage present, motor is not working. Take it off, find out why. Motor defective, jammed/damaged shift mechanism within transfer case, motor switch contacts out of whack (they turn it off after shift is completed), etc. imp

thank you for all your help, if anything changes i will keep it updated

anywho, i have had the problem fixed for a few weeks and it was indeed, fords wonderful 4x4 control module, thank you for the help

Back