Flowology

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport.

ACM module died, and became a brick.

my ford touch screen, 3 quadrants would work fine, but entertainment(bottom left quadrant was unresponsive. no volume control, no radio, no sync, no bluetooth, etc.

Also discovered that the dead ACM was the cause of a parasitic draw, flattening the battery in a few months.

i bought a replacement ACM.

installed this ACM.

now i have every function back. the quadrant is responsive, voice controls work, bluetooth works....

but i have no sound. i can see the volume turn up, turn down, voice prompts work through sync, etc. but no sound.

i have:

checked fuses to the amp, and radio
i have updated the software (was 3.6.1, now is 3.10)
i have banged my head against the steering wheel.

2 possibilities i see:

1. something is dead between the ACM and the speakers...
2. the acm isnt fully compatible with my vehicle?

the acm part number that came out of the vehicle:
eb5t-19c107-ea

the new acm part number:
eb5t-19c107-ha (from what i understood this is a newer version, and the flash drive update would have addressed this?)

beyond this, i am lost.

i put it to you wonderful explorer people to help me out! thank you

Trevor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Trevor. :wave:
I checked both part numbers on 2 parts sites including Fordparts and came up with 0 results. The item is likely no longer available other than through aftermarket sellers. Have you tried using a music USB drive? I doubt that would work as well. Could it possibly be that the replacement ACM is bad?:dunno:

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Trevor. :wave:
I checked both part numbers on 2 parts sites including Fordparts and came up with 0 results. The item is likely no longer available other than through aftermarket sellers. Have you tried using a music USB drive? I doubt that would work as well. Could it possibly be that the replacement ACM is bad?:dunno:

Peter
I had it in to a dealer once upon a time, they told me the replacement part is:

EB5Z-18C869-EA

It’s a $600-$700 part

But that’s not close to the one I had that came out of the vehicle. Wonder if the one that came out of the vehicle was aftermarket too?

I had wondered if previous owner had put the wrong acm in there at some point? I got the vehicle at 120000kms, and now I’m at 175000kms. Couldn’t see them putting a replacement acm in after just 75000miles.

The aftermarket parts are much cheaper $50-$150.. but that might just be the issue.

Still, I don’t want to rule out that it could be something else in the chain. Any other ideas if we assumed the acm was good and the software was good, and the fuses are good?

What else would lead to no audio?

Hopefully, someone more familiar with the system will comment.

Peter

ACMs in a given type/year range are generally all the same internally, but they're capable of being configured several different ways, including driving speaker level output or "pre-out" level output to an amplifier. I would guess your ACM came out of a vehicle that had a different sound system configuration than yours. Forscan or IDS can be used to write your factory as-built data to the ACM and probably fix the problem.

FWIW the dealer part number is different (ends in Z) because that's a catalog/order number for the dealer. The actual part would likely be the same EB5T part you already have in hand when it shows up. The initial configuration to match your vehicle would be done on install for a new out of the box unit if you paid the dealer to install it. If you can't get a hold of someone with Forscan and/or the dealer wants a lot to do it with IDS your next best bet would be to look for aftermarket guys that sell sync upgrades etc and find someone that can program an ACM to your VINs as-built data. It can be done remotely by sending out the ACM. If you're tech savvy I'd just buy a 15 dollar "switched" forscan cable and download forscan to do it, I'd be happy to help you through the process.

ACMs in a given type/year range are generally all the same internally, but they're capable of being configured several different ways, including driving speaker level output or "pre-out" level output to an amplifier. I would guess your ACM came out of a vehicle that had a different sound system configuration than yours. Forscan or IDS can be used to write your factory as-built data to the ACM and probably fix the problem.

FWIW the dealer part number is different (ends in Z) because that's a catalog/order number for the dealer. The actual part would likely be the same EB5T part you already have in hand when it shows up. The initial configuration to match your vehicle would be done on install for a new out of the box unit if you paid the dealer to install it. If you can't get a hold of someone with Forscan and/or the dealer wants a lot to do it with IDS your next best bet would be to look for aftermarket guys that sell sync upgrades etc and find someone that can program an ACM to your VINs as-built data. It can be done remotely by sending out the ACM. If you're tech savvy I'd just buy a 15 dollar "switched" forscan cable and download forscan to do it, I'd be happy to help you through the process.
This is awesome, most hope I’ve had for this thing in a while!

I will see if my buddy with forscan will know what to do, if not, I’ll be coming back to you!

I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks for being a hero.

This is awesome, most hope I’ve had for this thing in a while!

I will see if my buddy with forscan will know what to do, if not, I’ll be coming back to you!

I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks for being a hero.
Tell them to open the "ACM module as-built configuration", then pick "LOAD FACTORY AB" from the buttons down at the bottom, then "WRITE ALL", Forscan will get the correct factory parameters for your VIN from Fords website and write them to it by doing that.

Back