No Audio from USB Devices Suddenly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Audio from USB Devices Suddenly

pwscott

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Windsor County, VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Silver Explorer ST
Callsign
N3KDJ
I have been using my iPod plugged into the lower of the two USB ports and a USB memory stick with podcasts and stuff on it plugged into the upper USB in my 2012 Ex Ltd. Love how it works...but suddenly when I play either USB device, the tracks and song name etc come up and it appears that it should be playing, but there is no audio. I can see the volume level of course.
Switching to another source the other sources work fine- Sirius, CD, AM/FM etc.
I pulled the iPod and USB stick out and restarted the iPod and plugged it in- seemed to take a long time indexing the device, last I saw before I put it away in the garage it was "Building Commands" or some such....

Any thoughts on what's up here?:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't answer what causes it, but I can say that the same happens to me. It happens with my USB flash drive. I can see the volume moving up/down, but nothing can be heard. The only thing that seems to fix it is when it does one of it's random reboots.

No USB Audio

So it's a known issue then? That's a drag....I guess I can keep an iPod > RCA cable in the EX as a workaround on a long trip where I want my music, but that totally defeats the whole voice-operated-Touch platform.

Any way to FORCE a random reboot? I was able to a few time when it first happened. I was listening to Sirius and I hit the REPLAY button on screen and it went black and came up with the progress bar and "Performing scheduled maintenance"...scheduled my +s+. At least it came back up. Now the replay button seems to do what it's supposed to.

Is pulling the fuse an option, but if I do will I lose my (15) Sirius memories, my GPS destinations, my (15) AM/FM resets, all my other settings?:thumbdwn:

I can't answer what causes it, but I can say that the same happens to me. It happens with my USB flash drive. I can see the volume moving up/down, but nothing can be heard. The only thing that seems to fix it is when it does one of it's random reboots.

No USB Audio Until Reboot

Well....just like I was told, I had no iPod or other USB Audio all day in my travels until I got in the EX at Home Depot and put it in reverse. I sat there with a black screen and didn't get the backup camera at all. I went back into Drive and pulled forward and put it in Park. Sure enough, the screen turned grey then black and I got the SYNC logo, Microsoft...blah blah blah....scheduled maintenance. I pulled out without the aid of the camera and started to drive home. Along the way I plugged the iPod in and it recognized it and spent 10 minutes indexing it and 10 minutes "Building Commands" or some such....I guess it is sounding out "Talk---***----iiinn---gggg HHhhhhe-aa-ddd-sss" for when I next trip say "USB; Play Artist Talking Heads".

I am glad it's working again but having to wait for a random (albeit allegedly 'routine') reboot is a bummer. Here is hoping this gets fixed in the Q1 2012 update- which suddenly seems far away to me.

Well....just like I was told, I had no iPod or other USB Audio all day in my travels until I got in the EX at Home Depot and put it in reverse. I sat there with a black screen and didn't get the backup camera at all. I went back into Drive and pulled forward and put it in Park. Sure enough, the screen turned grey then black and I got the SYNC logo, Microsoft...blah blah blah....scheduled maintenance. I pulled out without the aid of the camera and started to drive home. Along the way I plugged the iPod in and it recognized it and spent 10 minutes indexing it and 10 minutes "Building Commands" or some such....I guess it is sounding out "Talk---***----iiinn---gggg HHhhhhe-aa-ddd-sss" for when I next trip say "USB; Play Artist Talking Heads".

I am glad it's working again but having to wait for a random (albeit allegedly 'routine') reboot is a bummer. Here is hoping this gets fixed in the Q1 2012 update- which suddenly seems far away to me.

couple options to force a reboot:

1.) see my thread on using a special USB stick to force a reboot. Here's the link: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325154
2.) Pull fuse 29 wait 30 seconds then replace it. It's located in a black fuse box above the emergency brake. Next time you start the car it will reboot.

pwscott,

I'm glad to see it's working for you again. I second what jrmexplorer said to do. Also, a fuse pull won't delete your presets and such, so you can try that as a last resort if this happens again. Sometimes a Master Reset will fix this issue, but that will reset your phone pairing and navigation favorites (if you have nav).

Rebecca

Back