Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
My dad was following me home tonight and told me I have no brake lights on my ranger. I just swapped in an explorer rear axle into my ranger. However the ABS connector on the rear diff is different on the explorer and ranger axles so currently I have it unplugged until I can swap the ranger sending unit into the explorer axle. So would this cause me to have no brake lights or do I need to check the switch under the dash to see if it is working? Not a big deal as it isnt a daily driver so I wont be having to drive around with no brake lights.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brake lights are controlled by the BOO (Brake On/Off) switch at the brake pedal. Although there is a signal that goes to the ABS module, the rear brake lights have their own circuit from the BOO, so unplugging the ABS shouldn't affect the brake lights.

This schematic is for an 97 Explorer, but I would be very surprised if it were different for your Ranger.

Attachments

• stoplight.jpg
    stoplight.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 613

The ABS should NOT affect the brake lights!

Probably the brake switch. If it is bad, it will also be difficult to shift out of park.

I didnt think they were related. I will test the the switch and make sure it is bad. Thanks for the help guys.

Back