No driver side brake light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No driver side brake light

Spiffums

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 & 2013 Ford Explorer
My drivers side break light is kaput. The left and top brake lights work (so not brake switch). Tail light works and I have power to both on the plug. I know the bulb is good because it's new and worked in the left side. I'm thinking all that can be left is the socket that goes into the housing.

Has anyone else had this gremlin and have I missed/overlooked something?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try tilting your steering wheel all the way up and see if that work.

My right brake light went out and I replaced the bulb, no good. Replaced the socket and everything was fine. The old socket looked kind of burnt on the inside. It wasn't hard to swap out and NAPA had the socket.

My drivers side break light is kaput. The left and top brake lights work (so not brake switch). Tail light works and I have power to both on the plug. I know the bulb is good because it's new and worked in the left side. I'm thinking all that can be left is the socket that goes into the housing.

Has anyone else had this gremlin and have I missed/overlooked something?

A helper pressing the brake pedal while you're measuring for voltage with a multimeter would tell you if power is making it that far.

I had a bad bulb a few days ago. The socket wasn't looking too swift so I'll have to remember Napa has them

Bad wire maybe?

Back