• Register Today It's free!

no fog light switch illumination

SparkyJeff

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 5.0L Mountaineer
I Just bought a 2000 Mountaineer, and I'm working out a few issues that it has.

The switch on the dashboard that controls the fog lights does not light up when the headlights are on.

It seems to me that there must be two bulbs in this switch, one for illumination so you can find the button in the dark, and another for the indicator that tells you that the fog lights are on.

The switch turns the fog lights on, and the "on" indicator lights up on the switch. but the button itself is dark, the button does not light up like the rear defroster button does.

should the switch be replaced? or is there a way to replace just the illumination bulb?

It's new to me so I don't even know if that switch is supposed to light up

If you feel the need to tell me I should use the search function, (I've tried) would you also please suggest some search terms for my particular issue?

Thanks
Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem with mine. Flicked it a few times and it started working. I guess the element stuck together because it has been working fine lately. Don't know how much work is involved in getting to the bulbs inside.

The light is replaceable. You have to pull the radio out, then remove the trim ring around the radio hole and HVAC controls (two screws). From there, disconnect the wires going to the trim panel and unscrew the assembly containing the defrost and fog light switches. Each switch snaps into the assembly. Once you remove the switch you'll see a round plastic screw-like thing on one side of the switch - that's the illumination bulb. Unscrew it a 1/4 turn or so and it comes out - the bulb is integrated into the plastic screw base. It's an odd bulb - I can't remember the size, but I think you can get one at the dealer. They are available cheaper online, but you'd need the bulb number first.

Funny that the "on" light is an LED, but the illumination light is incandescent.

I had the same problem with mine. Flicked it a few times and it started working. I guess the element stuck together because it has been working fine lately. Don't know how much work is involved in getting to the bulbs inside.

I took the switch out and there is a tiny little lamp that plugs into the outside of the switch. I'm not sure which lamp that is (illum. or ind.) but tomorrow morning i plan to remove both the defrost switch and the fog light switch and swap the little bulbs to see if that changes things

the switch is 45 bucks at rockauto
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=946246

you can see the backside of the little bitty bulb on the top of the switch in the picture.
I'll update after my investigation tomorrow, if anyone is interested

The light is replaceable. You have to pull the radio out, then remove the trim ring around the radio hole and HVAC controls (two screws). From there, disconnect the wires going to the trim panel and unscrew the assembly containing the defrost and fog light switches. Each switch snaps into the assembly. Once you remove the switch you'll see a round plastic screw-like thing on one side of the switch - that's the illumination bulb. Unscrew it a 1/4 turn or so and it comes out - the bulb is integrated into the plastic screw base. It's an odd bulb - I can't remember the size, but I think you can get one at the dealer. They are available cheaper online, but you'd need the bulb number first.

Funny that the "on" light is an LED, but the illumination light is incandescent.

Thanks hworksinc

yes, that's the one I'm looking at. the guy at my local parts store said the same thing, "find it at the dealership"

my nearest dealership is not convenient, and I of course want to find an affordable solution, buying online suits me fine, and I'm compiling a list of things to look for at my favorite U-pull-R parts yard. I may as well bring home the whole switch.

I used a Radio Shack bulb, Bulb 272-1092. The bulb is slightly smaller in size than the original but it works fine.

Thanks gtyates

I wound up grabbing the set of 3 switches at a "automotive recycling center" for $4. along with some other pieces.

I found an armrest cover that had just the tiniest crack in it for free. the guy said "I can't sell that part, its damaged" I said, "its a lot nicer than the one I have." he told me "OK, just take it"

Wow, that was cheap for the parts!! Eventually those bulbs will die though. lol!! Interestingly, I found the old '97 model I had ate bulbs like crazy in the interior, but the '96 I am driving now (that was my dad's) still has all the original bulbs working, including the headlight switch bulb that illuminates all the time!! As a matter of fact, the exterior bulbs area almost all original as well. Wonder what changed in '97?

Wow, that was cheap for the parts!! Eventually those bulbs will die though. lol!! Interestingly, I found the old '97 model I had ate bulbs like crazy in the interior, but the '96 I am driving now (that was my dad's) still has all the original bulbs working, including the headlight switch bulb that illuminates all the time!! As a matter of fact, the exterior bulbs area almost all original as well. Wonder what changed in '97?

Cheap parts. yes. I went to high school with the kid behind the counter. he doesn't usually let me just take stuff, but I had a 5 gal bucket full of things like the old man helper handles that go over the door, little trim pieces, plastic molding clips, etc

My new $4 switch has zero illumination. I went with gtyates suggestion for the Radio Shack bulb, Bulb 272-1092. They work for less than $2 a pair, but they are the wrong color.

Who knows where to find a green bulb similar to the radio shack one?
or there has to be a way to color the clear bulb that i now have

Thanks

Did you put the bulb in the "new" $4 switch? If so, you probably grabbed one from a '95-'97 model that had a more blue-ish illumination color. The bulbs are clear (at least mine were) - the color filter is in the button.

If you put the new clear bulb in your original switch, you should have the proper color again.

On mine the factory bulbs were clear. The color was produced by a "sleeve" that slides over the bulb. Kind of a bulb condom of you will. lol!! I had to remove the sleeve off of the dead bulb and slide onto the replacement.

guys, thank you for the info, I have working green lights now.

the junkyard switch did indeed have bluish colored covers over the bulbs, they were the same type bulbs and covers as in my 2000 just a little bit different color.

I had to dig through my trash can to find that silly little green bulb that I threw away, so I could pull the little green bulb cover off of it.

Thanks again!

does anyone have a part number for these bulbs?

Back