No gears working..help.. Could it be the 4wd switch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No gears working..help.. Could it be the 4wd switch?

hardazz06

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 AWD
Ok... Transfer case is out on my truck.. heres the symptoms
1. no gears are engaging (not even park)
2. when i try to shift into gears my t-case makes a loud grinding noise

My truck has the automatic 4wd switch with the AUTO TO 4HI TO 4 LOW.

What I was told is that this switch sometimes becomes faulty and gets the shift motor locked in between 2wd and 4wd thus not letting the fork, inside the t-case, fully actuate all the way down with the gears, causing the gears to slip and grind

Does this sound right and has anyone else had this problem with the switch?
Is there a way to fix the switch or deactivate it?
[/SIZE]
Any input is welcome Thank you very much in advance
:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

B/W 4405 Shift-fork broken

:usa:
The shift-fork is broken. :(

Well i riped open the t-case and theshift fork looks intact.. but what i noticed is on the gear, that the shift fork holds, it is grinded down where it touches the other gears...?

This obviously means the gear in the switch fork isnt actuating fully..

What causes this fork and gear to not fully enage with the rest of the gears?
Could it be the 4wd swith not engaging the 4wd motor fully?

damn im stumped

B/W 4405 inherent problem

The shift-fork does not engage the cam far enough. This keeps the shift-fork rail in a constant ****ed position. The bore on both ends of the cases where the shift rail sits in becomes egg-shaped. To properly fix this case those bores need to be sleeved. The forks pin that engages the shift-cam needs to be lengthened. Of course the worn gear will need to be replaced. Let me know if I can help. ;)

hardazz06 said:
Well i riped open the t-case and theshift fork looks intact.. but what i noticed is on the gear, that the shift fork holds, it is grinded down where it touches the other gears...? This obviously means the gear in the switch fork isnt actuating fully..
The gear that the shift fork holds has teeth that are naturally cut at an angle to allow them to "slide" into the plentary set.
4405_plentarygeardown.jpg
If the teeth are grinded down and are not "clean cut", off the top of my head, here are a few possibilities as to why the teeth are wearing down:

- flooring the gas right after switching to 4LO
- attempting to switch to or out of 4LO while the vehicle is still in motion
- the white nylon "sleeves" that interfaces the shift fork to the gear it holds is worn down or missing
hardazz06 said:
Could it be the 4wd swith not engaging the 4wd motor fully?
I somewhat doubt that the shift motor is not fully rotating into the 4LO position becuase if that were the case, you should get some 4wd blinking lights on your dash becasue the vehicle's 4x4 computer knows exactly which position the shift motor is at. If it senses that it's not where it should be, it will light up your dash.

Ok.. that pic is exactly what it looks like!!!!!
IS that what it is supposed to look like? or is that after it is worn?

1.Yea another thing the 4wd drive lights are blinking...

2.The nylon white gaurd seems intact...

3. the tranny shop told me to replace the gear in the fork and the other gears it touches would cost 409 $

Does anyone know what makes the loud grinding noise inside the t-case(what actual part).. Is it the gear in the picture above not actually engaging all the way
:exp:

That gear looks normal. Rock your shift-rail in each of it's bores and see if it does'nt look egg-shaped. This causes that gear to disengage and make the sounds you hear.

hardazz06 said:
Ok.. that pic is exactly what it looks like!!!!!
IS that what it is supposed to look like? or is that after it is worn?
Its supposed to look like that - the angled teeth makes it easier for that gear to slide into the plentary gear set.

hardazz06 said:
Does anyone know what makes the loud grinding noise inside the t-case(what actual part).. Is it the gear in the picture above not actually engaging all the way
That could really be anything. The output shaft bearings have been known to elongate the housing support they sit in after years of use - allowing the bearing to wobble.

To anyone replacing a shift fork in the 4405 - be sure and insist that the shop doing the work buys and installs the remanufactured shift fork made by Omega Tool here in Sacramento - it has a longer stub to engage in the spiral groove that engages it. It costs $50. Their web page is at www.omegamachine.com. At the same time if the case is worn where the shift lever engages it (often is) they can also provide a rebushed case half to cure the problem.

More discussion is here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155458&highlight=4405

The shift fork was fine...it was the planetary and sundial gear.... good or bad i dunno... im just glad my bore holes were in good shape :D .. the beast is back in commision but without 3rd gear..The transfer case repair was 450$.. and thats plus a tune up and all gears replaced... so it was a good deal + good transmission shop... rarely found, huh... Thanks for all the help now its onto the tranny..

:exp: :exp: :exp:< thats the exact picture of my truck.. identical how cool

Did u find out exactly which part of the planetary was defective?

As far as the planetary goes it didnt look that bad.. the multiple little gears on the bearing within the planetary were chiped and dinged but the bearing and gears rotated well.. Since the sundial was replaced we decided to go ahead and replace the planetary also,, ..
Keep in mind,, this is the second transfer case.... I bought it used after i sunk my truck under six feet of water... theres no telling what stress was put on it before i got it
sundial gear, planetary gear, seals and rubber pieces were replaced

anytime the sun gear is fubar, the mating planetary ought to be replaced. You did good. Sounds like you have a competent shop.

ps. ANY little chip in a tooth is a signal to replace. Multiple for sure. Planetaries need to be PERFECT!

Yeah thats indeed a nice shop you have there - excellent price too

Back