No Instrument Cluster lighting...... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Instrument Cluster lighting......

FC2ED

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Philly, PA but transplanted too Bryans Road, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Mazda Navajo
While driving down the road tonight I lost lighting to my instrument cluster and parking lights. I thought maybe we blew a fuse so I had my better half crawl under the dash and pull the fuse. To my surprise the fuse was fine. Just in case we installed a new fuse but still have the same problem. We did notice that if you pull the headlight switch to a position half way between the parking lights and the headlights that the instrument cluster and parking lights will come on. I'm going to assume that I have a bad light switch. My only doubt about this is that when I arm my alarm I still do not get any parking lights. The alarm is wired behing the switch so that when the alarm goes off the parking lights flash or is it still possible that the headlight switch is causing a short to ground keeping the lights from coming on. Any assistance would be helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And the saga continues. I replaced the headlight switch and still have not corrected my problem. The switch is fed 12v thru a brown wire (per chilton). Then that 12v should leave thru a set of brown wires. I do not get 12v on these two brown wires. To add to my confusion, I have a sidewinder alarm which attaches to one of the two brown leads used to trigger the lights when the alarm activates or is triggered. During troubleshooting I replaced the fuse in the lead coming off my alarm leading to brown, when I activate the alarm the 10 amp fuse blows instead of illuminating the lights. So I assume there is a short in the parking light/instrument cluster. I removed all parking and marker lights and still have no lights. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Before anyone asks, yes I have removed the lead coming from the alarm during troubleshooting (trying to eliminate all that I can).

Except of cluster and parking lights everything else is working (radio light etc)?

The rear marker, license plate, front corner marker, markers mouted in the air dam, and instrument cluster are out.

in the left side of the steering wheel is a swich for adjusting the lights for the interior of the car.

i'm not sure if it has anything to do with your situation, but is a good starting point.

you may turn it off by mistake.

New or used switch used as the replacement?

Check the fuse for the brake lights. I had the same issue in an old Dodge. For some reason, when my trailer pigtail got wet, or grounded, it would blow the fuse and cause my dash to go dark.

Well i crawled under the dash and checked the fuses again. Talked to a friend of mine and realized that circuit has 3 fuses involved. I thought only one. Found a blown fuse and replaced it. Now the question is what could have caused it. Not all too worried about the cause right now. My truck has lights and my blood pressure has returned back to normal. Thanks for the replies.:confused: :D

Back