• Register Today It's free!

No Instrument Lighting

wrsergeant000

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer Sport
This summer I recently purchased a '95 Explorer Sport. For a '95, it is in great body condition and runs pretty well. It only had one instrument panel light that was working until it burned out a couple of days ago. I've been going around the forums and have noticed other posts concerning the dimmer switch. All of my radio lights, warning lights, and cruise control lights operate just fine when the headlights are turned on. My only issue is that I don't have any way to see anything on my instrument panel or climate control while driving at night. I don't know if this is anything to do with the dimmer switch that seems to be plaguing some people or if it is simply lights that have burned out. If it isn't (just to streamline the process of taking apart the dash to get to the bulbs), what are the part numbers for the instrument panel bulbs?

Thanks in advance!

if you only had one light that was working (there are 6 in all) it sounds like the last bulb burnt out and now you have none. wouldn't surprise me on an '95 w/original bulbs.

here's how you change the bulbs (i'm assuming you have an automatic trans):

1. remove the 2 screws from the radio bezel and pull it out about an inch.
2. remove the 4 screws from the driver's side lower dash trim (2 of which hold the hood release handle) and remove it.
3. remove the 5 bolts that hold the metal plate behind the lower trim panel, and remove the plate.
4. unhook the thin, red wire/cable that hooks on to the shifter. it goes to the gear indicator. be careful not to break it.
5. remove the single screw that holds the cable adjuster under the column.
6. remove the three screws at the top of the instrument cluster trim and any more you see around it's perimeter.
7. remove the cluster trim. you don't need to unplug the headlight switch to do this, but you can.
8. remove the screws holding the instrument cluster to the dash (at least 4 of them).
9. pull the cluster loose from the left side enough to get your hand behind it. start fishing the gear indicator cable up through the dash.
10. reach behind the cluster and release and unplug the 3 electrical connectors you'll find there.
11. pull the cluster toward you and fish the gear indicator cable out with the cluster.

there are 6 #194 gauge illumination bulbs. they twist out with your fingers, or pliers. you will be reusing the black base part. I like to test the bulbs before installing them in the cluster, as you can get a bad bulb and you don't want to have to so this job twice.

that's pretty much it, if I forgot anything it should be obvious as you work. the cluster trim panel and lower dash trim panel both use the same push-in clips that the radio bezel uses in their upper corners.

Tip: if your gear indicator doesn't point exactly to the gear your in, this is an excellent time to adjust it. it's also a good opportunity to remove the lens from the cluster to get the dust and dead bugs out.

Back