• Register Today It's free!

No O/D drive on off button

qtacclia

Reaction score
City, State
louisville, ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer sport
the button is stuck . been this way since I bought it. What do you have to do to fix this? I have a small 1800 lbs. pop-up I tried to pull yesterday and I had to almost floor it for it to downshift. I would like to have the overdrive button so I could turn it on and off when needed. Any suggestions? I have a 1997 sohc sport awd if that helps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the button "stuck" as in it won't actuate or can you press it and OD off will not work?

It is stuck and won't move.

There is a ring (bezel) around the button. You will see the parting line around the outside diameter. Take a screwdriver or similar and pry the bezel off. The button just lifts out. If you break the bezel, it's usually stocked at the dealer...along with the switch. Bet it just needs a cleaning though.

I'll take a look at this a little bit more in depth with the whole bezel thing. I for got to mention that when you start the truck the o/d on off light doesn't come on either. Is this part of the system check like the check engine light and so forth? Does the whole shift knob come off or just the end?

Back