no OD, no reverse 95 ex 4.0 4x4

skycitadel

Reaction score
City, State
okc, ok
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 4.0
To summarize so far

Problem: OD and R slip so much i can barely move. once OD button is off i have forward movement up to 3rd. My OD light does not blink and i have not been able to get a code.

Troubleshooting so far:
Dropped transmission pan...no metal parts and clean fluid.
I replaced my EPC solenoid.
Other solenoids looked ok.
I checked the ohms on the solenoids
The solenoid bracket appears ok.
changed gaskets on valve body
changed internal wire harness
changed reverse servo gasket and o rings
Reverse Servo appeared ok.
Reverse Servo Bore was not scratched.
Reverse Servo has spring tension
toqued band adjustments
new mobil 1 synthetic fluid
new pan gasket and filter
pressure tested
I have a 4r55e

Hi,

I have a 1995 Explorer 4.0 4x4. I have no OD and almost no reverse. I can rev it up real high in reverse and get a little movement. Can still drive with OD off. Dropped the transmission pan and found no metal parts and clean fluid. I replaced my EPC solenoid. No change in condition. I have one code currently 214 which i think is my cam position sensor. My OD light does not blink.

Does anyone have any ideas for troubleshooting this? I have yet to read any posts with same symptoms. Most are either no OD or no Reverse not both.

Thanks for any input,
Michael

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Micheal,

I have a 2000 XLS 2wd 4.0 OHV with the 5R55E transmission. (I'm the original owner.) I was/am still having the same symptoms. Here's what I've done so far:
  • Replace Valve Body and solenoids w/rebuilt from Central Valve Bodies
  • Replaced transmission fluid and filter with new
  • Adjusted intermediate and O/D bands detalied in this Forum

When I dropped the pan to replace the VB, there were no broken metal pieces inside the pan, so I believe there hasn't been a broken band.

Does your reverse engage after dropping down to second or first, then returning to reverse? Mine is doing that. If I do not engage 2nd before moving to reverse, my RPM's will go above 4200 and will barely move the truck in REV.

Like you I'm able to drive with the O/D off. To start from a dead stop, I have to shift to 2nd (with O/D off) and accelerate. At approximately 2800-3200 RPM I will manually shift to Drive/Overdrive (O/D is still off) and I can drive without activating a flashing O/D light (indicating the trans has enter "limp mode".)

Haven't been able to get a transmission shop to read/find a fault code.

I'm still troubleshooting to see if I can correct the problem without having to pull the pan again, but am fearful it might be a problem with the low/reverse servo. I also have not checked the pressure.

Here' hoping someone can help us both!

Jack

Jack,

When i turn off OD and leave the gear selector in D/OD mine acts normally. Shifts through all gears normal but no last OD gear. Sounds like you dont get 1st and R? I dont get OD and R.

I will check reverse engagement after going to 2nd or 1st like you suggest. Also Band adjustment as soon as i can get a 1/4 inch torque wrench tonight. From what ive read on the forum so far it does sound like next troubleshooting step for you might be servo or low band? I get 1st still myself though.

Will post later,
Michael

Been awhile since ive posted. Havent worked on the SUV until recently.

Still only goes forward with OD button off and reverse minimally when i floor it. Still no trash inside transmission.

I have
set the band adjustment
replaced EPC solenoid

Any other ideas on things i could look at? Im thinking at this point i may need to just go ahead and buy a remanufactured trans from my local shop blumenthals for 1200. But i would like to fix it myself if someone has a good idea for me to look at something.

Been awhile since ive posted. Havent worked on the SUV until recently.

Still only goes forward with OD button off and reverse minimally when i floor it. Still no trash inside transmission.

I have
set the band adjustment
replaced EPC solenoid

Any other ideas on things i could look at? Im thinking at this point i may need to just go ahead and buy a remanufactured trans from my local shop blumenthals for 1200. But i would like to fix it myself if someone has a good idea for me to look at something.

When you pulled the REV / OD Servo did you notice if the end (that goes up into the transmission) had a Chipped end? Did you replace the o-rings on it as well or just the plate gasket? Was the bore ovaled out (possibly allowing fluid to rush past the servo - not alowing it to actuate (no O/D & REV)

When you say "Set the Band Adjustment" do you mean Followed the torque procedure?

Sorry so many Qs

When you pulled the REV / OD Servo did you notice if the end (that goes up into the transmission) had a Chipped end? Did you replace the o-rings on it as well or just the plate gasket? Was the bore ovaled out (possibly allowing fluid to rush past the servo - not alowing it to actuate (no O/D & REV)

When you say "Set the Band Adjustment" do you mean Followed the torque procedure?

The Rev servo did not appear chipped or broken. yes new o rings. Did not notice oval bore. Did look in there for scratches or marring of the sides and saw none. Spring pressure seemed to be working on servo.

Yes torqued the band adjustments according to the sticky thread.

thanks

Not for sure (b/c I am battling a no REV issue myself) but how do the solenoids look? wat about the braket? Did you try Ohming them out yet? try this link from BrooklyBay's Useful Links:

On page four they talk about the solenoid bracket causind the OD Servo no engaging enough due to a broken Solenoid Bracket:

http://www.sonnax.com/tech-articles/TS6-BW-106-109.pdf

how do the solenoids look? wat about the braket? Did you try Ohming them out yet?

On page four they talk about the solenoid bracket causind the OD Servo no engaging enough due to a broken Solenoid Bracket:

http://www.sonnax.com/tech-articles/TS6-BW-106-109.pdf

solenoids looked ok. i did replace the EPC the first time i was in there. I checked the ohms on the solenoids and the values were ok.

The bracket appears ok.

ill try to eliminate those troubleshooting steps one by one on that list.

First it says loss of reverse and 3rd or 4th may be end plugs allowing oil out.

Second, coast clutch shift circuit leakage would mean no 4th.

Third, Inspect the center support sleeve, sealing rings and direct drum sleeve for cracks. Ensure the vehicle has line rise, as reverse will not engage until line is 120 psi

Fourth, No 2nd or 4th, erratic direct clutch, no upshift:
The solenoid regulator valve is likely out of position. With SSB
solenoid removed, the end of the casting to edge of the long aluminum
plug will measure 1.720” when L pin is installed properly.

Fifth, No overdrive servo apply psi:
The coast clutch shift valve may be out of position, the bore worn
severely or the dumbbell-shaped valve (opposite bore from the
TCC modulator) is not being retained correctly. This L pin falls
out of position easily. Timing valve may be stuck toward the end
plug or the spring is not on center, which causes it to coil bind.
Kick-down valve may be stuck or spring missing.

Sixth, No OD servo release
(no overdriven 2nd in 5R & no 4th in 4R):
Mismatched separator plate at 5R/4R identification (see Figure 1).

Seventh, OD band failure, no overdrive release psi:
The 3-4 shift valve may not be positioned due to a loose SSC
solenoid. Bracket must hold it in flush.

thanks,
michael
skycitadel

Michael, Mike here as well. Thanks for the insight. So it must either be hard failure (band or reverse clutches) or maybe the vb you got is leaking?

Before you shell out $1200 for a "rebuild" check this out: http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=1999&m=Ford&mo=Explorer#&&/wEXAQUHaGlzdG9yeQUEdHJ1ZbeJQwrDnn1brKWLK+LH7viyyDAr

Not that $1900 dollars is great, but it is brand new.

--- I am going out tomorrow morn 5am to try to revive mine (ordered new pan, rev servo o-rings, and plate gasket)

What did you torque the REV servo plate to?

Michael, Mike here as well. Thanks for the insight. So it must either be hard failure (band or reverse clutches) or maybe the vb you got is leaking?

-- I am going out tomorrow morn 5am to try to revive mine (ordered new pan, rev servo o-rings, and plate gasket)

What did you torque the REV servo plate to?

108-126 in/lb for a 5r55e i assumed mine was the same for 4r55e

torque the bolt furthest from the sides first, then one in corner diagonal from first, third and fourth is hard to describe. I got a pic in a pdf file from a link on this site but couldnt refind the link.

I dont think my problem is hardware since i have manual First gear which i think uses the same band as reverse. I think its valve body related....gonna pressure test it tommorrow and buy some end plugs maybe.

Good luck on your repair,

michael

Subscribed! I'll be checking back here again to see what you found. Thanks for the info btw. just what I was looking for.

Bad News...

I got out to my truck this morning 530am installed the new pan, pan gasket, REV servo Plate Gasket and O-rings on REV servo, added ATF and............................ATF cascaded out the back in the same spot. cracked trans case :( devistated

I got out to my truck this morning 530am installed the new pan, pan gasket, REV servo Plate Gasket and O-rings on REV servo, added ATF and............................ATF cascaded out the back in the same spot. cracked trans case :( devistated

sorry to hear that man.

havent heard of that before now. can you do anything about that besides replace the case?

Got my pressure guage on tonight. Got my idle readings and will get fast idle and wot tommorrow.

Park 110
Reverse 160-175
Neutral 105
0verDrive 55-65
Second 45-50
First 50

To summarize so far

Problem: OD and R slip so much i can barely move. once OD button is off i have forward movement up to 3rd. My OD light does not blink and i have not been able to get a code.

Troubleshooting so far:
Dropped transmission pan...no metal parts and clean fluid.
I replaced my EPC solenoid.
Other solenoids looked ok.
I checked the ohms on the solenoids
The solenoid bracket appears ok.
Reverse Servo appeared ok.
Reverse Servo Bore was not scratched.
Reverse Servo has spring tension
toqued band adjustments

I have a 1995 Explorer 4.0 4x4 4r55e.

michael

It has to be the band, drum, or clutch pack. I suspect that if the REV O/D servo and all gaskets are okay as well as good line press then the you are probably looking at an overhaul.
The only 2 ways to confirm would be to check the REV OD band by dropping the trans and taking it apart OR maybe you could take out the REV OD servo and gently prod the band to see if there is excessive play?

Maybe someone else could chime in? Is this a possible way to confirm band tension?

FYI about my 99 sport:

I am going to try to JB WELD it Friday after work. This would confirm why it pukes in reverse - the crack is in the case right above the REV Servo chamber. strange that I sill have OD though?

I had to call in today b/c my B2's fuel pump let go last nite....uuuuuhhhhhhhhhg Red neck repaired it on the side of the road (I got a used one from a member a few weeks ago TG!) But then my sister's explorer took a dump when she came to bring me tools. When it rains it pours :(

When you checked line press where did you tap in? how much was the gauge?

Thanks,
Mike

I dont have a trans manual yet so im just going off of information here on the website but according to the band adjustment stickied thread there are three bands overdrive, intermediate, low/reverse. Only OD and intermediate are adjustable.

I was able to torque the two adjustable ones without a problem. And the 1st gear runs fine and it uses reverse band so Im assuming my bands are ok. I guess it could be clutchpak or something else.....i know very little so far about that stuff.

I tapped in on the driver side of the tranny next to the DRTS i think its called that tells what gear you are in.

Soon as a i get a free moment ill finish pressure testing it.

michael

Michael, Do you think you could get a pic of where you tap in for the pressure.......of all the threads I have read everyone mentions "Line Pressure" but not any threads about how. Maybe helpful for someone else later. I Know I would find it valuable -

Thanks,
Mike

Michael, Do you think you could get a pic of where you tap in for the pressure.......of all the threads I have read everyone mentions "Line Pressure" but not any threads about how. Maybe helpful for someone else later. I Know I would find it valuable -

Thanks,
Mike

If you look here there is a good guide on the pressure test. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117998

I finished my test today.

Idle Fast I WOT
P 110 115 120
R 160-175 195 over 250...my gauge only goes to 200
N 105 115 120
D 55-65 115 225
2 45-50 100 225
F 50 105 225

I dont have the book but those values dont seem too bad to me compared to the a4ld values in the stickied thread.....the biggest difference being my idle park value.

My next step i guess is buy the trans book and maybe take the trans out and look at the guts if i continue to work on it. I might buy a cheap tran out of a wreck or something....not sure yet probably be awhile before i work on it in any case.

Thanks for finding that sticky for me! a great read!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back